[SOLVED] Cannot boot after installing new RAM

Mar 4, 2019
Hello all.
I decided to give my PC a boost and since I'm usually running a lot of tasks at once, i bought new RAM.

My motherboard is Asrock X99M Extreme4.
My CPU is Intel i7-5820K.
My new memory is 2x16gb DDR4 Corsair Dominator (CMT32GX4M2C3200C16).
My old memory is 4x4gb DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX (CMK16GX4M4A2133C13B)

When i first couldn't boot i removed one of the new sticks and tried with just 1 of them, in slot A.
After clearing cmos and trying to boot I get the Dr.debug code b0 indicating a memory problem and then a quick restart, looping over and over again.

Here is the link to the motherboard page and manual: https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99M Extreme4/

I am now running the PC with one of my old 4gb sticks in slot A and its working fine. Any suggestions as to why my new stick doesn't work? As far as i can see in the motherboard manual, it should be fine with a 16gb stick since it goes up to 64 gb with 4 slots.

I appreciate any help i can get! After spending a lot of money, its always crushing when you cant get new components to work properly.

Edit: Added some more info and restructured a bit.

Last edited:
Solution
Update the bios on your motherboard, You should be able to use both sticks after

Source: I had this happen to me after installing 4x8gb sticks I had to update my bios for better memory optimization before it would boot without a problem.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/fatal1ty x99m killer/#BIOS

Go to link and scroll down to bottom and click on support and then click on bios. Make sure you update using the most recent update.

If you actually take a look at the update description most of them show that the update improves DRAM comparability.

Lastly when you do reinstall both sticks of RAM make sure you install them on the slots to the left of the CPU Labled A1 and B1 this will make sure that your ram is being fully utilized...
Motherboard supports Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 2.0.

The CPU, which you don't identify, contains the memory controller. You also don't identify old 4gb sticks or how you set memory parameters in the BIOS.

Your CPU may not support the memory speed with XMP enabled. You may want to check that.

Reactions: SnowGoose
Mar 4, 2019
Motherboard supports Intel Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) 2.0.

The CPU, which you don't identify, contains the memory controller. You also don't identify old 4gb sticks or how you set memory parameters in the BIOS.

Your CPU may not support the memory speed with XMP enabled. You may want to check that.

I didn't realize the memory was depending on the CPU in that way. My CPU is intel i7-5820K.
My old memory was Corsair vengeance LPX 4x4gb (CMK16GX4M4A2133C13B)

Have you tried rearranging the ram into every slot and configuration possible?

Make sure your bios is set to its defaults as well.

I regressed to using only one stick in slot A, which should be the most basic configuration. Since that is working with my old stick i think it should work with the new one unless something else is wrong.
I reset cmos with the switch so that should set bios to defaults right?

Thank you both for your replies.

Shigaba

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Update the bios on your motherboard, You should be able to use both sticks after

Source: I had this happen to me after installing 4x8gb sticks I had to update my bios for better memory optimization before it would boot without a problem.

https://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/fatal1ty x99m killer/#BIOS

Go to link and scroll down to bottom and click on support and then click on bios. Make sure you update using the most recent update.

If you actually take a look at the update description most of them show that the update improves DRAM comparability.

Lastly when you do reinstall both sticks of RAM make sure you install them on the slots to the left of the CPU Labled A1 and B1 this will make sure that your ram is being fully utilized and ran in dual channel for best performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowGoose
Solution
Mar 4, 2019

Alright! Thank you for this suggestion. I will try updating the BIOS tonight. I really hope it will solve my problem. As for the XMP profile, surely that should be disabled if i run my bios at default settings? Meaning my new memory will default to 2133 Mhz even though it is rated for 3200?

Lastly when you do reinstall both sticks of RAM make sure you install them on the slots to the left of the CPU Labled A1 and B1 this will make sure that your ram is being fully utilized and ran in dual channel for best performance.

I was wondering about this. In the motherboard manual there are no guidelines for which slots to use, they just say it will use dual channel mode if i have two sticks and quad channel if i have four sticks. Also all slots have the same color. How did you know which ones to use?

Shigaba

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
the bios on your motherboard, You should be able to use both sticks after
Alright! Thank you for this suggestion. I will try updating the BIOS tonight. I really hope it will solve my problem. As for the XMP profile, surely that should be disabled if i run my bios at default settings? Meaning my new memory will default to 2133 Mhz even though it is rated for 3200?

I was wondering about this. In the motherboard manual there are no guidelines for which slots to use, they just say it will use dual channel mode if i have two sticks and quad channel if i have four sticks. Also all slots have the same color. How did you know which ones to use?

Yes so once you update the bios then everything should go back to basically factory settings obviously other than the bios version. After updating turn off your system and install your RAM. Turn it back on and jump right back into your bios menu and enable the XMP again now the xmp most likely won’t take it all the way to 3200mhz but it should bring you to the most stable frequency for your system. I’m guesing it will tia enough up to 2933mhz but that really would not cause much of a performance difference. And as for the RAM slots I just googled and if you look at your motherboard or pictures of it under the rams slots it’s A1 B1 on the left slots and C1 D1 on the right sockets. I simply googled what confit with those would be dual channel.

So its short one more time put your new RAM into the two slots to left of your cpu. (slots A1 B1) this will make sure you are running your RAM in Dual Channel.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2019
Good news! I updated my bios from version 1.50 to version 3.50, as suggested by Shigaba. After that, i instantly reached post with the new RAM and it seemed to run fine. For now, i left it at 2133 Mhz, im glad enough to have it up and running for now. Later on i might attempt to load the XMP profile, perhaps in combination with some slight overclocking of my CPU.

Also, i couldn't find anything in the manual or on the web regarding slots in X99M Extreme4. They seem to be interchangeable. For symmetry and airflow around the RAM i tried using slot A and slot D. Bios and windows tells me the memory is 32Gb running in dual channel, so i can only assume this is working. If i run into any problem, i will try slot A+B like you recommend.

Thank you all!

Shigaba

Reputable
Mar 3, 2016
Good news! I updated my bios from version 1.50 to version 3.50, as suggested by Shigaba. After that, i instantly reached post with the new RAM and it seemed to run fine. For now, i left it at 2133 Mhz, im glad enough to have it up and running for now. Later on i might attempt to load the XMP profile, perhaps in combination with some slight overclocking of my CPU.

Also, i couldn't find anything in the manual or on the web regarding slots in X99M Extreme4. They seem to be interchangeable. For symmetry and airflow around the RAM i tried using slot A and slot D. Bios and windows tells me the memory is 32Gb running in dual channel, so i can only assume this is working. If i run into any problem, i will try slot A+B like you recommend.

Thank you all!

Awesome I'm glad I could help. The worst is when you cant seem to get a straight answer ! SO "today was a good day".

Also as long as it says its running in dual channel you should be fine.

As a side note I would turn on that xmp profile, There are normally two so I would check both. If there is only one thats fine as well. With that being said. 2133 to 3000 or 3200 or even 2933 is gonna to give you a pretty sizable performance increase. so I would get that done as soon as possible just to see if it works.

If for some reason you experience any crashes or it doesnt boot after doing this dont worry.

Just uplug your power cord from your system and hold down the power button for 10 seconds to drain any excess energy and remove the CMOS battery for 5 minutes.

pop the battery back in and plug your system back in and boot her up.

this should reveert everything back to factory settings in your bios other than the bios version which is a good thing :)