Question Cannot boot from internal or external devices, kernel panic/BSOD.

Oct 26, 2022
Greetings all,
I'm new to this forum, and in fact forums in general, but I have been fighting hardware issues since I built this rig almost 2 years ago and hoping someone may have some advice.
My build is as follows:
-Team T-Force DARK Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model TDPGD416G3200HC14ADC01
-ASUS AM4 TUF GAMING X570-Plus ATX Motherboard
-Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular Power Supply
-Western Digital WD Blue SN550 NVMe M.2 2280 1TB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 3D NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS100T2B0C
-AMD Ryzen 5 3rd Gen - RYZEN 5 3600 Matisse (Zen 2) 6-Core 3.6 GHz (4.2 GHz Max Boost) Socket AM4 65W 100-100000031BOX
-GIGABYTE Radeon RX 5500 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 x16 ATX Video Card GV-R55XTOC-8GD
-Older Seagate HDD used for Linux only.

Since I built the rig, I have had intermittent BSOD with Windows only. The issue would occur multiple times after anywhere from 5-30 minutes of use.
Could be playing a game, could be just browsing the web, no specific action seemed to cause the issue.
I tried re-installing Windows, the first few attempts resulted in crashes when booting from the USB, so I ruled out the M.2 drive.
I was able to successfully re-install after reseating all components, but the issues continued after a few days or weeks.
I ran some tests using MemTest86+ and FurMark.
I noted with FurMark that the crashes seemed to occur when the GPU reached around 76C, so I modified the AMD Catalyst software to kick the fans up to higher speeds when approaching that temp.
That seemed to resolve the matter, but then several weeks later, the issues began again.
I returned the MOBO and got a replacement, seemed to help for a few weeks, then back to the same issues.
I returned the RAM, no BSODs for a few days, then same issues again.
I tried an older GPU I have, same issues
Cleared CMOS, set BIOS to default settings, installed latest BIOS... same issues.
I had reseated all components several times, seemed to help a few times, but the issues always eventually returned.

Fast forward to last night. I have been without issues for several months and thought I was in the clear.
I chalked it all up to possibly driver/software issues, wasn't sure but had no issues so I didn't care.
While playing Far Cry last night, the thing crashed... this time it never booted correctly again.
I tried booting from the Arch Linux drive which I never have issues with, got kernel panic before I even hit login.
Windows never gets to the login screen either, crashes every time, sometimes shows a BSOD, usually reporting an issue with amdppm.sys (the BSODs have almost always shown an error with and AMD related driver, but the whole rig is AMD so didn't really narrow things down.)
I've tried to repair Windows from a USB, but don't get far without it crashing.
I've tested booting with each RAM stick individually, I've tried another GPU, cleared CMOS and updated BIOS again; just can't get far with any OS.

At this point, I am thinking its the CPU and considering seeing about the manufacturers warranty or just buying a new one out right.
I'm posting here to see if anyone has had similar experience with any of these components, or if anything sticks out to anyone else.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I've been building rigs from used parts for over 15 years, this is the first rig I've built with all new components and the only one I have ever had trouble with like this.
I am a sys/network admin, but don't work with hardware too much anymore, so these are my best attempts at troubleshooting all this.

Thank you all in advance for your help here, and for all the help I have received from viewing other user's posts/responses on here.
Now that I have an account, I intend to be a bigger part of this community and hopefully can start to give back with some knowledge of my own.

-Bunderware

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
Oct 26, 2022
Oct 26, 2022
Just thought I would update the here.
I bought a new CPU and was able to boot and use the machine without issue.
I then returned the old CPU through AMDs factory warranty directly with them.
The would not refund the purchase of either CPU, but sent me a replacement instead.

I have had 2 BSODs since which is concerning, but both while playing Far Cry New Dawn and none outside of that, so could just be software in those cases.
Again, thanks for your suggestion Colif.

Colif

Win 11 Master
set this up in case you BSOD again

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .