Cannot boot from Linux drive

Azorlorn

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
I have recently installed Linux Mint on a second drive in my desktop, but cannot boot from it without physically disconnecting the Windows 10 drive.

I have selected the correct drive in BIOS and disabled all other devices from booting, and yet it still boots Windows instead of Linux. Any ideas as to why?

Info that may or may not be helpful (let me know if something else could be helpful):
Motherboard: ASUS m4a785td-v evo
BIOS Version/Date: American Megatrends Inc. 2015, 7/23/2010
SMBIOS Version: 2.5
Windows Drive: 500GB ST3500418AS ATA Device
Linux Drive: 1TB WDC WD10EAVS-00D7B1 ATA Device

Solution
Hi

In the bios There is often a list of hard drives and you select which one is the first in the list which is the boot disk

Other bios let you press f12, f8 or F11 at power on to select which hdd, dvd, or usb you boot from as a one time choice which over rides the default settings

It helps when installing windows or linux there is only one hdd connected so all the boot files for that operating system are on one hdd and not partly on both drives

Regards
Mike Barnes
Hi

In the bios There is often a list of hard drives and you select which one is the first in the list which is the boot disk

Other bios let you press f12, f8 or F11 at power on to select which hdd, dvd, or usb you boot from as a one time choice which over rides the default settings

It helps when installing windows or linux there is only one hdd connected so all the boot files for that operating system are on one hdd and not partly on both drives

Regards
Mike Barnes

Solution