Cannot boot from usb on ASUS Prime B350-Plus Motherboard

Harvey Demonta

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Hello, you geniuses of the forums. Of course I'm here because I need your help.

I recently replaced my old Gigabyte motherboard with a newer ASUS Prime B350-Plus board and a Ryzen 7 1700 cpu and installation went fine. everything booted up as normal. But I ran into an issue where there is a malicious virus process attached to the wininit.exe process that I CANNOT get rid of. I've tried everything I could think of (processhacker, processexplorer, rkill, malwarebytes,etc.) I cannot use any of the system restore options and unless I go through boot options in msconfig, the damn thing won't even let me boot to safe mode. So I figured I'd just do a fix all and reinstall Windows 10.

Here is my problem. I used Windows media tool to create a bootable USB on my Kingston 16GB flash drive and I plugged it in on one of the rear usb ports (front ones aren't working for now). But I cannot for the life of me figure out the configuration to get this PC to boot from USB. Ive tried it with CSM on and off. I've tried it with the USB first and second in the boot order. It states in the list that it is UEFI. It just keeps booting to Windows every single time.

Can someone tell me what I am missing?

Solution
Don't you have 2 entries in BIOS for that USB ? One as UEFI and one without it ? Only choosing later one works for me. CSM should be either enabled or Auto.