Cannot boot into windows

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
Hello everyone, let me begin to say that I'm a novice when it comes to windows 7 problems. I seem to be at a lost as to what to do. I recently purchased a new MB ( Sabertooth 990fx R2.0) and CPU (AMD FX8350) and installed them replacing my old hardware. I updated my BIOS for compatability and verify that it was done in the UEFI. However, when I tried to boot into windows it failed to start. The message given was that a recent hardward or software change might be the cause. The system started to do a repair program, but then freezes to where nothing functions. I could not even do a system restore. Will I have to do a complete reinstall of windows 7 or are there other options available. I really hate to lose all my files. I hope I can get some help.

neo_classical

Honorable
Dec 31, 2012
Hi mpere,

I had that problem; it seems windows hates new hardware changes that are drastically different to what it had before.
I suggest you slave the hard drive in another machine and back up the files and then you will have to do a fresh installation.
Sorry!

mpere

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010

I can do that. However, my other machine's operating system is vista ultimate with 250GB. My other HDD os is wins 7 home premium 750GB. Will I have to repartition the HD to have both HDD in the machine. This is starting to be a total mess.

No you shouldn't. With both drives having an OS on them, it may confuse the MBR and if so we can address that later. It also could prompt you with the two different OSs coming from each one of the drives. Just be sure to choose your new installation and you should be able to see the older drive inside the OS so that you can move your information over.