Cannot boot to old HDD after installing a new SSD with fresh OS

Victor_G

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hey there everybody! Really need your help or I will go insane here. I had Win 10 installed on my HDD having upgraded from Win 8.1. It was running so slow I decided to purchase an SSD. My plan was to keep the Win 10 on old drive in case I need to come back but also do a clean install of Win 10 on the new SSD. All installed correctly, no problem at all. But I don't get the DUAL Boot options and when selecting the old HDD as the only boot device, the laptop still boots to the SSD. Whats wrong mith my system? Any help? Please!

Here is the screenshot from the disk management tool.

Mod Edit: https://www.dropbox.com/s/1iegfeuez5n0kqt/Capture.JPG?dl=0

Solution
First of, my apologies. I must have been asleep when I read the first post and totally missed the fact that the screenshot link wasn't there. I've now found it in the BB Code and edited it into the thread.

The first thing I notice is that the old hard disk may not have a valid boot setup and that could explain a thing or two.

Was the 1TB disk in place when you made the new installation or did you put it back later and that was when the D: appeared?

I think you should remove the SSD and pop in a DVD to get some fixes going using bcdedit or bootrec. The original Windows 8 disk should do it.

Victor_G

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Hi and thank you for your answer. Yes they are both activated perfectly legal Windows 10 Home OS systems. That's the problem when I cannot boot from the old HDD even when I choose the boot device from the boot menu at the startup.

Victor_G

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
I don't know actually I could try that, just didn't want to touch it before I got some advise. I have heard something about if you have the old HDD connected and do a fresh install of the OS on the new SSD drive, during the installation the OS detects the OS in the hard drive and makes it Non-bootable. If that's the case I would like to figure out if that can be fixed. And also if that's the case it still doesn't explain why the boot drive settings are not respected by Bios.

Victor_G

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

I just removed the SSD and when booting up I first got a message that there is no bootable drive and I had the options either to go to the bios or some other options and the last one was boot to another OS. I did that and it did boot to the old OS (both Win 10) on the old HDD. So I am happy it works but now I would really like an advice on how to set up the dualboot mode?

Normally that would be the Function 11 or 12 key to choose a boot disk for that occasion only but you don't seem to have that option.

Basically, you have two disks which both claim to be the C:\ drive so they will conflict if both are there at the same time.

Victor_G

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016
Thank you for your answer and involvement Saga Lout!

I do have that option, I have the F12 option to choose a boot device, but the point is it doesn't matter which drive I would choose (old one HDD, new SSD), when I had the SSD connected it just kept booting exclusively from it (even though I would choose old HDD after pressing the F12 key). And that is weird, kind of makes me think the boot record is corrupt?

Victor_G

Commendable
Sep 22, 2016

If you take look at the link I had provided in the first post you will see that the freshly installed Win 10 that runs on SSD automatically gave the letter "D" to the old hard drive.

First of, my apologies. I must have been asleep when I read the first post and totally missed the fact that the screenshot link wasn't there. I've now found it in the BB Code and edited it into the thread.

The first thing I notice is that the old hard disk may not have a valid boot setup and that could explain a thing or two.

Was the 1TB disk in place when you made the new installation or did you put it back later and that was when the D: appeared?

I think you should remove the SSD and pop in a DVD to get some fixes going using bcdedit or bootrec. The original Windows 8 disk should do it.

Solution