[SOLVED] Cannot clone dynamic drive partitions

Nov 17, 2019
In looking to clone C: to SSD, Samsung's migrate software says no can clone dynamic partition, while Macrium Reflect is mum on the subject. How can I get a bootable Win 10 to SSD without a reinstall?

Solution
Reporting back here after trying the Hobson's drag choice for dynamic partitions in Macrium Reflect. Three dynamic partitions, including System, dropped into the new SSD, but the C: boot dynamic partition 'copied' only a phantom partition, i.e., it was empty.

Then, following a tip from my supplier, pp.co.nz, I tried EaseUS Partition Magic, the now Chinese-owned old programme, and without any fuss, like dragging partitions, it worked like a charm. All four dynamic partitons migrated, and in the process had been converted to Basic partitions.

I highly recommend reasonably priced EaseUS Partition Magic, not only for the efficiency of the software, but also for the efficient, polite way in which the company's Help desk dealt with...
Nov 17, 2019
Boot drive cannot be dynamic.

Which one is set as dynamic in your clone?
If it's the SSD then delete the partitions while booted to your HDD
You can use Disk Management to check and delete partitions.
Hello. Thanks for your post.

Since the SSD is a new Samsung 500 GB, it is clean. Disk Management shows that all partitions are Dynamic, including the boot C:, as well as Disk 0 itself.

Since my post, I have found that, in Macrium Reflect, Dynamic partitions must be dragged to the new drive. I'll report back once I've given it a go.

Nov 17, 2019
Reporting back here after trying the Hobson's drag choice for dynamic partitions in Macrium Reflect. Three dynamic partitions, including System, dropped into the new SSD, but the C: boot dynamic partition 'copied' only a phantom partition, i.e., it was empty.

Then, following a tip from my supplier, pp.co.nz, I tried EaseUS Partition Magic, the now Chinese-owned old programme, and without any fuss, like dragging partitions, it worked like a charm. All four dynamic partitons migrated, and in the process had been converted to Basic partitions.

I highly recommend reasonably priced EaseUS Partition Magic, not only for the efficiency of the software, but also for the efficient, polite way in which the company's Help desk dealt with my enquiries.

Solution