Question Cannot Connect to Wifi Network during BIOS Setup

Hutchins4292

Prominent
Jun 28, 2023
I recently bought a refurbished HP Slim Desktop (HP SLIM DESKTOP i3-10105 3.70GHz 8GB 256GB SSD INTEGRATED WINDOWS 11 HOME - BLACK ( NO SD CARD SLOT )). When I connect it to a monitor and turn it on, it begins the BIOS/UEFI setup. It first asks for language offering US English then it asks for keyboard language choice. I am able to use keyboard arrow keys to navigate to choices which when highlighted can be chosen by pressing ENTER.

After those first 2 options are set, it proceeds to set up a wifi network. The screen both my networks plus the usual list that it finds from neighbors' systems. I can use the arrow keys to point to my network and highlight it. I can even tick the box that chooses to use the selected network automatically. This process causes a CONNECT button to be highlighted; however pressing ENTER has no effect.

Can anyone suggest a wiki or tell me what to do to overcome this?

TIA

That's not the BIOS but the standard Windows 11 setup. In fact that's where you bypass logging into the Microsoft account to make a local account.

This may be an artifact of the modern flat graphic design and a victory for style over usability--there's probably a place to click on to enter your pre-shared key but you can't easily see it. Without entering the key you can click on connect all you like and it won't do anything.

Hutchins4292

Prominent
Jun 28, 2023
I recently bought a refurbished HP Slim Desktop (HP SLIM DESKTOP i3-10105 3.70GHz 8GB 256GB SSD INTEGRATED WINDOWS 11 HOME - BLACK ( NO SD CARD SLOT )). When I connect it to a monitor and turn it on, it begins the BIOS/UEFI setup. It first asks for language offering US English then it asks for keyboard language choice. I am able to use keyboard arrow keys to navigate to choices which when highlighted can be chosen by pressing ENTER.

After those first 2 options are set, it proceeds to set up a wifi network. The screen both my networks plus the usual list that it finds from neighbors' systems. I can use the arrow keys to point to my network and highlight it. I can even tick the box that chooses to use the selected network automatically. This process causes a CONNECT button to be highlighted; however pressing ENTER has no effect.

Can anyone suggest a wiki or tell me what to do to overcome this?

TIA
That's not the BIOS but the standard Windows 11 setup. In fact that's where you bypass logging into the Microsoft account to make a local account.

This may be an artifact of the modern flat graphic design and a victory for style over usability--there's probably a place to click on to enter your pre-shared key but you can't easily see it. Without entering the key you can click on connect all you like and it won't do anything.
Thanks. I was guessing, incorrectly, that it was a BIOS setup problem.

I still don't understand your answer, though. What do I need to do? There is no place to click. If I could take a screenshot, I'd post it here to show what's available. The only thing suggested is to use another computer to look up a Microsoft web page.

What is this pre-shared key you reference?

You could follow the instructions in the linked article on how to create a local account. If you want to automatically backup everything to Onedrive or encrypt your drives (which are both enabled by default if you setup Windows 11 with an online account/email), you could set those up after.

The pre-shared key is the password for your Wifi SSID.

Hutchins4292

Prominent
Jun 28, 2023
You could follow the instructions in the linked article on how to create a local account. If you want to automatically backup everything to Onedrive or encrypt your drives (which are both enabled by default if you setup Windows 11 with an online account/email), you could set those up after.

Thanks again. I'm struggling to make sense of the instructions in the link.

I made a photo of the screen with my iPhone and would post it here if I knew how.

Hutchins4292

Prominent
Jun 28, 2023

Would that I could, but I cannot get past the failure to connect to a network.

Thanks for clarifying the pre-shared key definitions.