Question Cannot delete "Avast Software" key from registry

John Dohe

Honorable
Apr 2, 2017
Hi!

Been trying to remove all traces of Avast from my Windows7Ultimate pc.

First thing I did was to use Avast's uninstall utility.

Then I searched the entire computer (C and D drives) for anything 'avast' and
deleted 151 files.

Then I searched the registry and deleted anything 'avast'.

But there was one key I could not delete from the registry:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AVAST Software

On another forum I found an Avast Software folder sitting in,
File explorer -> Program Files -> Common Files -> Avast Software
and deleted it.

Still cannot delete the registry key.

I found an Avast Software folder sitting in Task Scheduler under Task Scheduler Library

When I tried to delete it I got, "The directory is not empty" error, but there's nothing to the
right where tasks would be listed.

When i right-clicked the Avast Software folder and tried to Display All Running Tasks I got,
"Task Scheduler service is not available. Verify that the service is running."

I checked Services: Task Scheduler is started.

And now I'm stumped.

How to:

1) Remove the Avast Software folder from Task Scheduler/

2) Remove the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\AVAST Software key?

Thanks!

combinebasic

Reputable
Dec 23, 2015
Try to use 3rd party software like CCcleaner then after install it open and goto options, then click include, then click add on the right side. Then browse the file you need to remove. After adding all the files, click cleaner on the left. This might help to remove the hard to remove avast files. You can try also to safemode your computer to disable all drivers and limited system will works. Then try to delete and try also use any third party software.

Jul 31, 2019
Try to delete Avast Software Using Aswclear. I think it can delete Avast fully from your PC and clean the registry automatically.
You need to download aswclear.exe and start Windows in a safe mode to run the .exe file and just remove the Avast form your PC. You can see the screenshots here https://rocketfiles.com/articles/how-to-uninstall-avast. You can also try to use Avast ClearX. I sue it to delete Avast also. But I did not remember if it deletes registry files. As I remember I use CCleaner to do this.