[SOLVED] Cannot detect HDD after PSU failure

May 14, 2022
Hello everyone,

so, my PC suddenly lost power as I was using it and would not turn back on. PSU seems to have died without warning. So I got another one, except now PC does not detect either of my HDDs (one for windows and programs, the other general storage). They don't seem to turn on at all. Is there a chance they're not fried, or am I totally boned?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Solution
The 5V TVS diodes are shorted. Remove them.

The top pairs of resistors are open. You can flow a blob of solder over them.

If there is no other problem, your HDDs will work, but you will no longer have any overvoltage protection. For continued protection you could replace the diodes with an SMAJ5.0A.
May 14, 2022
I did indeed reuse the original cables the first time I tried booting, but I don't have a screwdriver bit small enough to take it apart right now. I'll check among my better equiped friends, but what would that fix require? In case it matters, both drives are Seagate Barracuda.

May 14, 2022

Both 5v diodes read 0, the 12v ones do not. The bottom resistors on both boards also read 0. The top ones on the first board read ~700, the other ~58.

If I understand your link right, snipping the 5v diodes would make the drives work again?

If there is no other problem, your HDDs will work, but you will no longer have any overvoltage protection. For continued protection you could replace the diodes with an SMAJ5.0A.

Reactions: Bismuth1104
Solution
May 14, 2022

When you say to flow a blob of solder over the resistors, how delicate of an operation is that? I don't really have precision tools.

Thank you very much for your help btw!

May 14, 2022
Yes, but the resistors are very small and close to each other. My fear is that the solder will overflow all over and between them. Unless I misunderstood and that is what you mean?

May 14, 2022
So, partial success! One of the HDD now works, the other not. Whether that is due to my poor soldering skills or something else I don't know, but since I have a partial backup of that one I'm ready to cut my losses and invest in real data protection instead.

Thank you very much fzabkar for taking the time to help me!