[SOLVED] Cannot factory reset because a virus is blocking all ways to do it!

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
I have a virus on my PC, i don't know how I got it but it makes a my PC slow and blocks programs and I lost administrator I want to factory reset my PC and don't care about losing files or anything. But when I try to reset it gives an error code is there any way to reset my PC (without buying windows again) al the fixes on the internet use command prompt or download programs but that doesn't work if you don't have administrator.

Ps: I'm not very good at tech stuff so I might not understand certain things)

Solution
also, it looks like you created a partition on disk 1 that is entire size of drive. You don't need to make the installation location for windows, it will make the partitions it needs.
If you had followed the faq it shows you want disk 1 as unallocated space before you click next. Windows will make 4 partitions as it needs some space for other functions.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If this is your computer you should have or know the admin password, or be able to hit "run as admin", unless the virus is causing some issue there.
Is this your personal, you purchased computer, or is this a machine work or school gave you to use?

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I have found a video where you download windows on a different PC on a USB and download it on your own PC from there, will this automatically remove everything from my drive?

When you go to the USB installer (creator) that MS offers it will ask if the DL if for the computer you are on, or another computer. Highly recommended that you use another computer to do so.

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
If this is your computer you should have or know the admin password, or be able to hit "run as admin", unless the virus is causing some issue there.
Is this your personal, you purchased computer, or is this a machine work or school gave you to use?
This is my personal computer that I built, i normally have admin but I think the virus is preventing me from running as admin.

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
On another PC, download the Windows 10 media creation tool and use it to make a win 10 installer on USB

boot from installer

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/
So I have downloaded a windows media creation tool but now I'm on my PC and it asks me on what drive I want it to be, i have an SSD and HDD but it shows me 9 different drives, some with only 16 mb or less and every drive i click on it tells me that I cannot install windows on the drive. How do I fix this?

Colif

Win 11 Master
it says what to do at part 7 of the faq I linked you

Now we come to the step where we remove any previous Windows installations and all existing partitions on the drive so that there can be no future conflicts regarding the Windows boot partition information. I recommend selecting, one at a time, and deleting, ALL existing partitions on the primary drive until no partitions remain and there is only unallocated space.

(Do not delete any partitions showing that are on the USB flash drive you are using to install windows from, if it shows up in the list of partition information. All others may be deleted unless you still have other drives connected.)

If you have not disconnected all secondary drives as was suggested at the beginning of the tutorial, then be very careful to not accidentally delete any partitions from those drives by mistake.

If you still have other drives connected other than the USB or optical drive being used to install from, and the target drive for the Windows installation, I highly recommend stopping now and starting over again from the beginning AFTER shutting down and disconnecting those drives.

If there ARE no other hard drives connected, then proceed with removing all of the existing partitions on the primary hard drive, until only unallocated space remains, and then click Next.

all you do is delete all the partitions leaving unallocated space on ssd and click next

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
if you going to install windows to the ssd. unplug the hdd

if you have nothing(no data) that need to save.
use the installation tool to remove all partition and start fresh
Yeah that works, there is still 2.0 gb of unallocated space and I cannot delete it, can i just leave that or is there something I need to do?

Colif

Win 11 Master
can you show us a photo of what you see?
upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

Is this a custom PC or OEM? If OEM, what make/model?
If its custom, did you make it?

if you made it, there shouldn't be any way for extra 2gb to appear
does it show as its own drive?
its too small for most USB sticks, and optane I think?

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
can you show us a photo of what you see?
upload to an image sharing website and show link here.

Is this a custom PC or OEM? If OEM, what make/model?
If its custom, did you make it?

if you made it, there shouldn't be any way for extra 2gb to appear
does it show as its own drive?
its too small for most USB sticks, and optane I think?
I'm not sure what OEM is but I built the PC myself and bought all the parts, I'm pretty sure this link will provide a foto.
https://ibb.co/S5H2hbq

Colif

Win 11 Master
it sure thinks there is an extra 2gb in there as its own drive.

238.5gb = 250gb ssd
1024gb is un unformatted 1tb ssd perhaps or hdd. its unusual to see 1024, most round to 1000.

you should wipe drive 1 and drive 4 shouldn't be in PC or windows might write info onto it.. that 2gb needs to be worked out as otherwise i can see boot partitions going onto it.

Wonder where Drive 3 went?

what are specs of the PC? are drive sizes right?

what drives show in BIOS?

no unknown random USB drives in slots?

Last edited:

Mr.snobdam

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
it sure thinks there is an extra 2gb in there as its own drive.

238.5gb = 250gb ssd
1024gb is un unformatted 1tb ssd perhaps or hdd. its unusual to see 1024, most round to 1000.

you should wipe drive 1 and drive 4 shouldn't be in PC or windows might write info onto it.. that 2gb needs to be worked out as otherwise i can see boot partitions going onto it.

Wonder where Drive 3 went?

what are specs of the PC? are drive sizes right?

what drives show in BIOS?

no unknown random USB drives in slots?
I just created drive 1 and 4, just cleaned out everything and created those two assuming they would become my c and d drive and I also noticed that I could install windows on one of these.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Somehow you still have an extra 2gb as its an actual drive. Try as suggested by tutorial and other mods, turn off PC and only have ssd you want to install windows on in PC. Maybe that 2gb will vanish.

What drives are in PC?
I seen hdd report as 2 different drives before, it can be a faulty controller on the drive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
also, it looks like you created a partition on disk 1 that is entire size of drive. You don't need to make the installation location for windows, it will make the partitions it needs.
If you had followed the faq it shows you want disk 1 as unallocated space before you click next. Windows will make 4 partitions as it needs some space for other functions.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS