[SOLVED] Cannot find BOOTMGR after installing new PSU

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013
Hello,

So, I was having issues with my PC, so I figured replacing the PSU was the next step to try. Lo and behold, replacing the old PSU solved the problem. However, now I have a new problem.

I have managed to get into BIOS, hearing that familiar beep. So far, I have my GPU and one stick of RAM installed. PC gets to POST and says "BOOTMGR is missing". Oh, duh, forgot to plug my drive in! Plugged in my OS-containing HDD. Same error... hmm. I have checked cables several times, swapped out cables, swapped connectors, pretty much everything i can do without a Windows Recovery disk. I only have this one HDD plugged in. I have it set to boot from that device in BIOS. All other device slots are set to Disabled. One thing I haven't tried was manually resetting the CMOS battery. I suppose I will try that right now. If that doesn't work, then I'm not sure what could be wrong. I have gotten "BOOTMGR is missing" error in the past, seemingly overnight, yet it always somehow went back to working properly.

Am I screwed without a Windows 7 Recovery Disk? I cannot get past POST. I have tried seeking previous threads on the matter and cannot seem to find anything that applies to my case.

I appreciate all advice. Thanks!

TL;DR - Installed new PSU, POST won't clear, OS won't boot, "BOOTMGR is missing", F8 Safe mode won't boot, F9 Boot Sequence Select won't work, setting boot sequence in BIOS won't work

Solution
How many hard drives did you have on the system?
Try connecting them all in the same order they were previously.

If that it not the issue then try repairing Windows with an installation disk.

jbrizzle16

Honorable
May 28, 2013
How many hard drives did you have on the system?
Try connecting them all in the same order they were previously.

If that it not the issue then try repairing Windows with an installation disk.

Holy crap. I thought I had initially reconnected all my drives in their original spots, because I’ve had to do that in the past. But somehow, following your post, it booted up! I must have overlooked somehing. Thank you!

Holy crap. I thought I had initially reconnected all my drives in their original spots, because I’ve had to do that in the past. But somehow, following your post, it booted up! I must have overlooked somehing. Thank you!
It happens to the best of us.

To avoid that issues in the future, when you install Windows, have only one disk plugged to the system. That way Windows won't install boot partitions on any other available disks.

TRENDING THREADS