Question Cannot for the life of me get this thing to connect to the wifi.

Jul 3, 2022
Hi forum.
For some unknown reason I am unable to connect my pc to the wifi network here at home.
I have tried multiple wireless cards, pci and usb. I have tried different operating systems.
I have tried everything i know of, i dont understand :( if anyone has any suggestions i would be grateful.

Details..

Motherboard - PEGATRON CORPORATION 2AD5
CPU - Intel Core i7 3770
Windows 10.

I have this wifi pci card.
TL-WN881ND(EU) v1

And i have this USB wifi adapter.
TL-WN823N

I have tried downloading drivers for both of them from manufacturers website as well as just let windows automatically install drivers for them. And i have made sure that the version numbers i am using are corrent.

I open the small drop down window that shows you all the wifi networks available. I select the one here where i live. I type in the password.
It goes 'Checking network requirements...' 'Cannot connect to network' every time. No matter which adapter i try use.
I am 100 percent sure the password is correct. I have copy and pasted it. I have typed it. I have asked other people to check that its typed corretly.
I have used this same password to connect my phone to the wifi. As well as a raspberry pi. And a tablet. They are successful.
I have intentionally typed in an incorrect password to see what happens. It gives the same response. checking requirements. cannot connect.
I have checked that both devices are set to automatically assign an ip address. I have made sure that windows will not switch off the device to save power.

I figured perhaps it was something to do with windows. So i created an ubuntu install.
Type in the password. 'Configuring interface' after some time 'The wifi network could not be found'.
The exact same thing happens with both wifi interfaces. It will repeatedly try to connect and this wifi network could not be found error pops up over and over again.
If i type in an incorrect password i get the same results.

This really looks to me and probably anyone reading this that the password is incorrect. I have literally, right now, disconnected my phone from the wifi. Used the Forget this network option. And re-added it to the wifi typing the password in. Connected just fine.

Unfortunately i do not have login access to the router. I am in a house share and ladlord wont let us have those details. I can however power off the router and power it back on.
Its an Ubitiquite setup here. There are a couple of access points and one main router. My phone pc and other devices are all using the same access point device.

At the moment I am using my pc with an ethernet cable that is pluged into another mini router set to client mode. So the mini router connects to the wifi and allows access though the ethernet ports. My pc is behind that ip address, so when i look at the lan with my phone my pc has the mini routers ip but when i check my ip on the pc it has a different ip. I thought maybe this was creating some sort of conflict so i used ipconfig /release, then unplug the mini ruouter and ethernet cable, then restart, then try connect to the wifi. Still the same.

I have no idea why this is happening I feel like ie need to conquor this beast before it gets launched out the [redacted] window.
Can anyone suggest something else i can try. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Out of curiosity, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? Your image URL doesn't work. Also, you forgot to mention the make and model of your wireless router.

mini router set to client mode
You mean as an Access Point? If so, why not tether to the mini router?

Jul 3, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Out of curiosity, what version(not edition) of Windows 10 are you on? Your image URL doesn't work. Also, you forgot to mention the make and model of your wireless router.

mini router set to client mode
You mean as an Access Point? If so, why not tether to the mini router?

Hi there. Thank you for the response.

OK i took down the link it was just a screenshot to show that i have typed in the password correctly..

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎03/‎10/‎2021
OS build 19044.1766
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

The mini router is this thing. https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/wifi-router/tl-wr702n/
It has one ethernet port and Wifi functionality. It is set to connect to a wifi network and provide access to that network through the port. In the router it says Client mode.
Client - The Client Mode. The computer connected by Ethernet could get access to an AP by Client mode.
Im probably using the incorrect terminology but im sure you understand what my setup here is.

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
You might want to redact the password from the screenshot, we tend to leave things out for your safety.

As for your predicament, I used to have a similar router...though it was white and a couple of generations older than what you have. The issue is that if you're connected to the same access point, you shouldn't have any issues connecting to said AP...there's also the matter of why you have so many adapters to connect to one network. If I were you, I'd have used the mini router in AP mode, then have the mini router tethered to the landlord's router via Ethernet then have your wireless devices connect to the AP. Though in all fairness, you're just creating more networking clutter...if your router is capable of covering the entire surface area of the flat that it's situated in, then you only need to connect to the initial router(instead of jumping through hoops of fire).

Jul 3, 2022
Thanks for the assist.

Initially I didn't start with so many adapters. I just had the pci card, when that refused to connect i bought the usb adapter. And then when that also wouldn't connect i set up the mini router to get access to the wifi. The main router is in the ceiling and an ethernet cable is not an option. I know that in its current setup it is functional i am able to get on the internet. I want to try solve the problem though, I would like to get connected to the wifi normally using either of the wifi cards plugged into the motherboard.

The main router in the ceiling is able to cover the entire house and does so very well. But for some reason my pc will not connect to it. Thats why im jumping through all these hoops lol. Just cannot get this thing to work as it is intended.

Last edited:

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I dunno, but if it were me, I’d disconnect everything but the wifi pci card and run the network troubleshooter. First of all, incorrect passwords are noted as such on login attempts. Your password is not an issue. It may simply be that the administrator has limited the users on the network. Stick with the basics and don’t over complicate things. Additionally, why did you opt for N type wifi devices? They support 2.4 and 5G but if the household is mostly connecting on the 5G band, it will create issues for your throughput.

Jul 3, 2022
Hi. Thanks for the input.

I didn't specifically choose the N type devices it just kind of worked out that way. Someone gave this pc to me recently and the wifi pci card came with it. When that wasn't working i just went out and bought a cheap usb adapter which happened to be the one that it is. The mini router i have had for a long time.

Do you think if i got a 5Ghz usb adapter it might work?

I ran the troubleshooter. It didn't really do much.
It says 'You have not chosen to connect to any available networks'
It gives me two options 'Show available networks' and 'Skip this step'
I have gone through it twice and tried each of them. First one just opens the wifi password window and the second one goes straight to another window that says it has found a problem. And the problem is that i have not selected any available networks. The only option it gives you is to close the troubleshooter.
Pretty funny actually...

I didn't specifically choose the N type devices it just kind of worked out that way. Someone gave this pc to me recently and the wifi pci card came with it. When that wasn't working i just went out and bought a cheap usb adapter which happened to be the one that it is. The mini router i have had for a long time.

I have gone through it twice and tried each of them. First one just opens the wifi password window and the second one goes straight to another window that says it has found a problem. And the problem is that i have not selected any available networks. The only option it gives you is to close the troubleshooter.
Pretty funny actually...
This matter needs to be discussed with your landlord. They may have turned on MAC filtering in the router after you moved in and that would cause the router to reject any new devices trying to connect. Your landlord may be able to temporarily turn off MAC filtering so that you can connect with your new adapter (you'll need to pick one since they all have different MAC addresses) and it will be logged in the router as an authorized device. Since your phone can connect perhaps you could temporarily use it as a hot spot until you can resolve this with your landlord.

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020

Pretty funny actually...
My guess is the PC you got was upgraded to Win10 from some other version. That said, I would buy a USB dongle or PCI card with at least an “ac” rating. I’m not sure why you even need the mini router and would bypass it altogether if the wifi strength on “available networks” shows decent signal strength without it. Additionally, if there are other networks available in the wifi connections, attempt to connect to see if they query you for a password. If one does, at least it will confirm your pc hardware is working correctly.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2022
I appreciate the input from everyone thanks.

This matter needs to be discussed with your landlord. They may have turned on MAC filtering in the router after you moved in and that would cause the router to reject any new devices trying to connect. Your landlord may be able to temporarily turn off MAC filtering so that you can connect with your new adapter (you'll need to pick one since they all have different MAC addresses) and it will be logged in the router as an authorized device. Since your phone can connect perhaps you could temporarily use it as a hot spot until you can resolve this with your landlord.

So this is where im at now to be honest i think somehow each of the mac addresses has been blocked. It doesn't seem logical but i cant think of anything else at this point. There have been multible devices that have been successfully added to the wireless since i have tried so dont understand why my two cards would be blocked. There is one thing i could try and that is to use the USB adapter on another pc or laptop. If that successfully connects then it has to be some ghostly bug with my hardware. Ill try this at some point.....

My guess is the PC you got was upgraded to Win10 from some other version. That said, I would buy a USB dongle or PCI card with at least an “ac” rating. I’m not sure why you even need the mini router and would bypass it altogether if the wifi strength on “available networks” shows decent signal strength without it. Additionally, if there are other networks available in the wifi connections, attempt to connect to see if they query you for a password. If one does, at least it will confirm your pc hardware is working correctly.

This is higly likely as the cpu is sandybridge so 2012, if i remember correctly.. propbaly win 7 at the time. However i am using a fresh windows install. And did try using ubunto so it cant be the OS thats causing the problem. The wifi strength to my home network is very high. One access point is right on the other side of the internal wall next to my room, its only made of wood and plaster. As for trying to connect to other networks yes it does aske me for the password. And yes i dont need the mini router if only i could get this thing to connect to the wifi, without it the pc has no internet connectivity. Its just a temporary workaround. As for buying a new card to get this thing working i can do that.. what would you recommend i purchase. Something relativly inexpensive would be better.

One thing i noticed is that when i type in an incorrect password for a random wifi network it says 'Verifying and connecting....' then fails the authentication.
Wheras when i type in the correct or incorrect password into my network it does not say that, it only says the same thing each time, 'Checking netowork requirements' then, 'Cant connect to network'. I think this is an indication of what is causing the problem.

Last edited:

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
I appreciate the input from everyone thanks.

So this is where im at now to be honest i think somehow each of the mac addresses has been blocked. It doesn't seem logical but i cant think of anything else at this point. There have been multible devices that have been successfully added to the wireless since i have tried so dont understand why my two cards would be blocked. There is one thing i could try and that is to use the USB adapter on another pc or laptop. If that successfully connects then it has to be some ghostly bug with my hardware. Ill try this at some point.....

This is higly likely as the cpu is sandybridge so 2012, if i remember correctly.. propbaly win 7 at the time. However i am using a fresh windows install. And did try using ubunto so it cant be the OS thats causing the problem. The wifi strength to my home network is very high. One access point is right on the other side of the internal wall next to my room, its only made of wood and plaster. As for trying to connect to other networks yes it does aske me for the password. And yes i dont need the mini router if only i could get this thing to connect to the wifi, without it the pc has no internet connectivity. Its just a temporary workaround. As for buying a new card to get this thing working i can do that.. what would you recommend i purchase. Something relativly inexpensive would be better.

One thing i noticed is that when i type in an incorrect password for a random wifi network it says 'Verifying and connecting....' then fails the authentication.
Wheras when i type in the correct or incorrect password into my network it does not say that, it only says the same thing each time, 'Checking netowork requirements' then, 'Cant connect to network'. I think this is an indication of what is causing the problem.
And in that is your answer. “Checking network requirements.” You don’t meet them and the administrator needs to allow you access.

Jul 3, 2022
Hmmm it does seem like that but really it doesn't make any sense that only these two devices would be blocked, yet loads of other devices come and go without a problem. Ive seen several tenants be replaced and i can see what devices they connect using fing on my phone. Tv's laptops fire sticks alexas phones xbox no one has said anything about not being able to connect. And literally as soon as i bought the USB thing it was blocked on the first attempt.

I got some details using netsh command not sure if there is anything in here that can help identify ther problem.

Interface name: Wi-Fi 5

Driver : Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter
Vendor : Qualcomm Atheros Communications Inc.
Provider : Microsoft
Date : 29/01/2016
Version : 3.0.2.202
INF file : netathrx.inf
Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
Radio types supported : 802.11b 802.11g 802.11n
FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
Hosted network supported : Yes
Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
Open None
Open WEP-40bit
Open WEP-104bit
Open WEP
WPA-Enterprise TKIP
WPA-Personal TKIP
WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
WPA2-Personal TKIP
Vendor defined TKIP
WPA2-Enterprise Vendor defined
Vendor defined Vendor defined
WPA-Enterprise CCMP
WPA-Personal CCMP
WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
Vendor defined CCMP
WPA2-Personal CCMP
Authentication and cipher supported in ad-hoc mode:
Open None
Open WEP-40bit
Open WEP-104bit
Open WEP
WPA2-Personal CCMP

Interface name: Wi-Fi 4

Driver : TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter
Vendor : TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.
Provider : TP-LINK TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD.
Date : 29/10/2015
Version : 1030.2.731.2015
INF file : oem11.inf
Type : Native Wi-Fi Driver
Radio types supported : 802.11n 802.11g 802.11b
FIPS 140-2 mode supported : Yes
802.11w Management Frame Protection supported : Yes
Hosted network supported : No
Authentication and cipher supported in infrastructure mode:
Open None
WPA2-Personal CCMP
Open WEP-40bit
Open WEP-104bit
Open WEP
WPA-Enterprise TKIP
WPA-Personal TKIP
WPA2-Enterprise TKIP
WPA2-Personal TKIP
WPA-Enterprise CCMP
WPA-Personal CCMP
WPA2-Enterprise CCMP
Vendor defined TKIP
Vendor defined CCMP
IHV service present : Yes
IHV adapter OUI : [00 e0 4c], type: [00]
IHV extensibility DLL path: C:\Windows\system32\Rtlihvs.dll
IHV UI extensibility ClSID: {6c2a8cca-b2a2-4d81-a3b2-4e15f445c312}
IHV diagnostics CLSID : {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}
Wireless Display Supported: Yes (Graphics Driver: Yes, Wi-Fi Driver: Yes)

And this is the WIFI network im trying to connect to.

SSID 3 : WILDANET
Network type : Infrastructure
Authentication : WPA2-Personal
Encryption : CCMP

BSSID 1 : 18:e8:29:ed:00:dd
Signal : 100%
Radio type : 802.11n
Channel : 1
Basic rates (Mbps) : 1 2 5.5 6 11 12 24
Other rates (Mbps) : 9 18 36 48 54

BSSID 2 : b4:fb:e4:77:4e:96
Signal : 74%
Channel : 6

BSSID 3 : b4:fb:e4:77:52:c3
Signal : 90%
Channel : 11

JohnMGotts

Reputable
Dec 7, 2020
With your internal Wifi only enabled and no other usb wifi adapters/mini routers attached...
At the command prompt type...
ipconfig /all >netconfig.txt
then type...
netcfg /s n >>netconfig.txt

and post the results from the netconfig.txt file created. (Note the "2" carats in the second command line.)

Jul 3, 2022
Hi there. Thanks for the continued feedback. Here are the results. Let me know what you think. I have disconnected everything except for the PCI wireless card.

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ANTOS
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 4C-72-B9-F6-DB-6F
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi 5:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter #3
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 7C-8B-CA-1E-A1-91

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 13:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #5
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 1E-8B-CA-1E-A1-91

Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection* 14:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter #6
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 2E-8B-CA-1E-A1-91

Network Adapters

-----------------

pci\ven_168c&dev_002e&subsys_30a4168c Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter #2

usb\vid_2357&pid_0109 TP-LINK Wireless USB Adapter

pci\ven_1814&dev_539b&subsys_18ed103c Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter

pci\ven_1969&dev_1091&subsys_2ad5103c Qualcomm Atheros AR8161 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (NDIS 6.30)

pci\ven_168c&dev_002e&subsys_30a4168c Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter

usb\vid_2357&pid_0109 TP-Link Wireless USB Adapter #2

pci\ven_168c&dev_002e&subsys_30a4168c Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter #3

Network Protocols

-----------------

ms_rdma_ndk Microsoft RDMA - NDK

ms_rmcast Reliable Multicast Protocol

ms_tcpip Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

ms_netbt WINS Client(TCP/IP) Protocol

ms_implat Microsoft Network Adapter Multiplexor Protocol

ms_ndiswanlegacy Remote Access LEGACY NDIS WAN Driver

ms_lldp Microsoft LLDP Protocol Driver

ms_wanarp Remote Access IP ARP Driver

ms_tcpip_tunnel Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) - Tunnels

ms_tcpip6_tunnel Microsoft TCP/IP version 6 - Tunnels

ms_tcpip6 Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)

ms_rspndr Link-Layer Topology Discovery Responder

ms_pppoe Point to Point Protocol Over Ethernet

ms_wanarpv6 Remote Access IPv6 ARP Driver

ms_netbt_smb Message-oriented TCP/IP Protocol (SMB session)

ms_ndisuio NDIS Usermode I/O Protocol

ms_ndiswan Remote Access NDIS WAN Driver

ms_lltdio Link-Layer Topology Discovery Mapper I/O Driver

netvsc_vfpp Microsoft NetVsc Failover VF Protocol

ms_xboxgip Xbox Game Input Protocol Driver

Network Services

-----------------

ms_netbios NetBIOS Interface

ms_server File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

ms_bridge Microsoft MAC Bridge

ms_wfplwf_lower WFP Native MAC Layer LightWeight Filter

ms_ndiscap Microsoft NDIS Capture