Cannot format/delete/clean/convert hard drive

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
I just built a new pc and I installed windows on my Samsung 970 Evo m.2 SSD, after a bit of downloading files, I noticed that my 2TB hard drive wasn't showing up in my file explorer, although it would come up in my task manager and my disk management as system reserved, in my boot it shows the full 2TB, but in diskpart when looking at details, it shows it's only 1.81TB. Before I checked this though I went into disk management and tried fiddling with settings to see why my disk wasn't showing up, I ended up switching to dynamic, not knowing what I was doing, and I'm trying to fix all these problems : Switch the drive back to basic, Clear the drive, Make it active so I can install files on it. When I try to delete volumes or clean the disk using diskpart, it creates a error stating "Clean is not allowed on the disk containing the current boot, system, pagefile, crashdump, or hibernation volume" But after checking the details on the disk, none of those are on it, except for System which is shown in disk management as Healthy(System)

Solution

As suspected.
The boot partition, "System Reserved" is on the 2TB drive. And it is taking up the entire drive...:(
This is why Windows won't let you format it.

If you've "just built" this...start over.

Disconnect the HDD, and reinstall the OS on the SSD, with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the HDD later, and you can wipe it and use as desired.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

USAFRet

Titan

As suspected.
The boot partition, "System Reserved" is on the 2TB drive. And it is taking up the entire drive...:(
This is why Windows won't let you format it.

If you've "just built" this...start over.

Disconnect the HDD, and reinstall the OS on the SSD, with only the SSD connected.
Reconnect the HDD later, and you can wipe it and use as desired.

How to do a CLEAN installation of Windows 10

Solution

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016

I do have the USB in but it just boots to that screen

USAFRet

Titan

You need to override your boot process.
Maybe F12 as it boots up?

USAFRet

Titan

Not showing up where?
You did the Clean command? That wiped out everything (as desired).
Now you have to go into Disk Management and create a New Simple Volume.

Please show us a screencap of your Disk Management window.

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016
I cleaned it and now see it in disk manager, it is asking me to initialize it, do I initialize it as GPT, or MBR?

Here's a screencap of the disk management and the other window that popped up when I opened it.

http://

USAFRet

Titan

GPT.
Then, New Simple Volume.
Then, Format and give it a drive letter.

illusionZzz

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2016

It worked, thank you for helping, my first time building a PC and I really should've looked at some guides before tampering with disk settings, thanks for the quick reply also. Saved me a headache of looking through other guides only to find solutions to other problems I didn't have.

USAFRet

Titan

Good luck, and have fun with your new system!