Question Cannot Get Laptop to Boot Anything

jools12345

Commendable
Apr 15, 2021
I have an Asus ROG notebook that all of a sudden crashed, went into Windows "Preparing Automatic Repair", and just hangs there. So I figured something went wrong with the OS and was going to reformat/reinstall. I tried to boot the machine using a (confirmed working) Win 10 x64 installation USB, but when I set it as the primary boot device in the BIOS, it just hangs at the ROG splash screen. If I launch the USB directly from the BIOS (rather than changing the boot priority), it goes to the Windows logo, but just hangs there. Weird. So here's what I've tried:

1. Reset BIOS to default settings
  2. Physically installed a completely fresh SSD and tried to install to that, same result as above.
  3. Tried to boot into Linux (Ubuntu), got to the screen where it asks how I want to run Ubuntu, selected 'try without installing' goes to a blank screen and hangs.
  4. Went back into BIOS and disabled Secure Boot and Fast Boot.
  5. Removed and cleaned RAM module (1 x 8GB).
  6. Tried using Win 8.1 x64 just for fun, same result.

Mobo problem? BIOS maybe? I'm hoping somebody can suggest a BIOS setting tweak...

Thanks.

jools12345

Commendable
Apr 15, 2021
Compatibility support module.

Maybe your bios calls it legacy mode.

Ah ok. So CSM was disabled. By enabling it, when trying to run the installation media along with a raw SSD, I got the Windows logo and actually got a spinning circle, but it's been at it for about 15 minutes and hasn't fully booted.

Ah ok. So CSM was disabled. By enabling it, when trying to run the installation media along with a raw SSD, I got the Windows logo and actually got a spinning circle, but it's been at it for about 15 minutes and hasn't fully booted.
For test purpose I don't think you want a disk connected.
First step is to get a flash stick to boot proper which may mean minimum stuff connected.

jools12345

Commendable
Apr 15, 2021
Your sure this flash stick boots on another pc right?

Is there anything else that's connected that you can disconnect for test purpose?

Have you tried the flash stick on different usb ports?

Yes I tried using another stick with 8.1, and even another stick with Ubuntu. Definitely not the installation media. Tried different ports. It's a laptop, so there's nothing I can really disconnect...