Question Cannot Get New Build To Load Windows [SOLVED]

Mar 31, 2019
I've just finished building a new computer with the following:

I7 9700k
Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
16 GB Corsair 3200 RAM
Samsung 970 M.2 250 GB/Samsung 860 1TB SSD

I can't seem to get it to load up Windows. I can get into the BIOS fine, it recognizes everything plugged in. But as soon as I try to load Windows 10 off of a USB installation drive or load Windows 7 off of my SSD (which worked fine in my previous computer) it loads up Windows for about a second and then reboots.

So far I have removed the M.2, checked my power cords to make sure that everything was plugged in, and even tried to boot only from several different USB drives but every time it gets to exactly the same point and reboots. I've updated my BIOS, tried changing basically every BIOS setting (before returning it to defaults), tried swapping out the RAM to only 1 stick, moved RAM slots. I'm at a loss as to the cause here.

I did end up at one point disabling the automatic reboots upon system crash and got a BSOD with the error code "STOP: 0x0000007B" followed by 4 addresses, but from what I've found the general recommendation for that is to reinstall Windows which I can't do since it crashes instantly anytime it tries to load anything. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid removing the CPU cooler but the only thing I can think at this point is that the CPU is instantly overheating. I put on thermal paste but maybe I didn't do enough?

Mar 31, 2019
You can certainly give up on WIn7, it does not natively support even Z270, much less Z370 or Z390...

Use a native USB 2.0 speed port from mainboard, and use Microsoft's Media Creation Tool..
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15088/windows-10-create-installation-media
Hah, that explains a lot! I just noticed that I very stupidly did not plug in the additional 4 pin power for my CPU. I just plugged that in, then used my W10 installation USB drive with a USB 2.0 slot as you recommended and it is now installing Windows on my M.2. Turns out that giving your CPU enough power is very important!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

DSzymborski

Titan
Hah, that explains a lot! I just noticed that I very stupidly did not plug in the additional 4 pin power for my CPU. I just plugged that in, then used my W10 installation USB drive with a USB 2.0 slot as you recommended and it is now installing Windows on my M.2. Turns out that giving your CPU enough power is very important!

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

And good move on doing a fresh install! Too often people want to skip that step and just slap in their old OS hard drive, leading to lots and lots of frustration.