Question Cannot get the 8700k to boost to 4.7ghz stock, need help

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
So I have an 8700k, and right now I have it set to stock with regular turbo boost. I have an MSI Gaming Edge AC board.
I can't understand why I can't see this thing boost to 4.7ghz when I do single core tests. I have tried cinebench, cpumark, cpuz, prime95, etc. It just never changes the multiplier to 47 automatically like it should. All I get is the normal 4.3ghz for all cores showing up or sometimes 4.4 for whatever reason but it never exceeds a multiplier of 44.

I even read some stuff about Cstates being disabled automatically that could cause it and I tinkered with that in the bios but it didn't change anything so I set it back.
What is a sure fire way for me to see the stock 8700k turbo boost to 4.7ghz on a single core like it is supposed to? I know it may have to do with the other cores being affected by other things but I dont know how to combat that. I watched a video where Jayz2cents used cinebench single core and cpuid hwmonitor and he was getting 4700mhz during that test with stock settings.
I have also turned off XMP to see if that caused anything and it made no difference.

I know I could overclock it which I will later, and I have seen it do 4.7ghz on all cores when Enhanced Turbo is enabled but online ppl say that is bad cause the voltage is too high when set to auto so I set it back and figured I should test things at stock before OC.

But when that is disabled, it should do 4.7ghz on one core.. it doesn't. I've been using cpuz and hwmonitor to check just FYI. Does anyone know whats up with this?
FYI, im well aware I could just manually put a 4.7 oc on it but if it isn't doing what I see everybody else's doing then I need to find out why before worrying about OC.

I have also done factory OC settings on this board and it doesn't change it. I also consulted with my brother in law who has a difference board but the same CPU and RAM and he is running stock with no XMP and gets the same results as me so I'm confused.

I'd appreciate any help from you knowledgeable folks with an 8700k at stock who may have tested this or overcome it or can explain what is going on. Thanks!

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
BTW in another group I'm in nobody wanted to touch this issue with a 10 foot pole so I'm hoping some more knowledgeable people here are up for the challenge.

**UPDATE: I tried changing it to only 1 core instead of all in the BIOS and sure enough, it turboboosted to 4.7 just under normal windows operation so it means it is capable but that is unrealistic cause nobody is going to run it like that.

So why won't it boost to 4.7 ON ONE CORE ONLY, when all cores are enabled if I am using a program that is single core only? I suspect because other cores are being used by windows but it shouldnt be enough to prevent it from boosting that way. If this is "normal" operation for this processor then its pointless to advertise 4.7ghz one core boost when software that uses single core can't trigger it to boost, and therefore are only getting 4.4ghz max. But I don't think it is normal there has to be a way.

Can someone help me with this please???

Last edited:

Cioby

Distinguished
I don't know what you heard or who told you but the 8700k boosts itself to 4.3 Ghz with turbo out of the box. It only boosts by default for some reason in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to exactly 4.7

If you wanna have 4.7 just go into your bios and use the setting there to set it to 4.7 otherwise use the IETU app. I am running at that speed and haven't even touched my voltage.

And people that tell you that you damage your CPU if you overclock basically know nothing, since I had my old 4770k run at 4Ghz since my first year for 7 years, sometimes even going as far as 4.6 Ghz. In the end my motherboard started to give up so I upgraded to a 8700k to be sure. As long as you don't tinker with your voltage like a moron and have proper cooling, it should be fine, for me using the default settings they would recommend worked the best also.

treacotton

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2009
I don't know what you heard or who told you but the 8700k boosts itself to 4.3 Ghz with turbo out of the box. It only boosts by default for some reason in Intel Extreme Tuning Utility to exactly 4.7

If you wanna have 4.7 just go into your bios and use the setting there to set it to 4.7 otherwise use the IETU app. I am running at that speed and haven't even touched my voltage.

And people that tell you that you damage your CPU if you overclock basically know nothing, since I had my old 4770k run at 4Ghz since my first year for 7 years, sometimes even going as far as 4.6 Ghz. In the end my motherboard started to give up so I upgraded to a 8700k to be sure. As long as you don't tinker with your voltage like a moron and have proper cooling, it should be fine, for me using the default settings they would recommend worked the best also.

I'm sorry but this isn't correct and wasn't what I was talking about in my post.

Out of the box stock, the 8700k should be able to boost to 4.7 on 1 CORE when used by single core applications. This isn't about overclocking in the slightest and OC is beside the point. I don't need to manually change the bios multiplier or enable enhanced turbo.. I'm well aware I could do that.. I also know how to overclock.

I have watched 8700k's on stock settings without turbo enhanced, boost to 4.7 on one core at any given time if used by a single core application. If it is utilizing all cores then yes, 4.3 is correct. But the highest I get is 4.4 which makes no sense to me cause thats the multiplier for 5 cores active and that is on stock settings.

The issue with people not understanding this is most people as soon as they get in the bios on a new build they start changing settings and don't really do tests with stock settings looking for it. Those that do either see it working like I am describing the correct way, or working the way mine is with some lower multiplier... even using the same applications.

This seems to vary from motherboard to motherboard and is likely because of the auto settings being different between manufacturers. The question is what settings are preventing it from boosting on one core, to 4.7, when using a single core application.

If I run cinebench on single core or cpumark on single core I should not be seeing all cores at 4400mhz I should be seeing atleast 1 at 4.7.. and that one may shift around to different cores.. but atleast ONE of them should hit 4.7 at some point during the test even if it doesn't maintain it.. that is normal behavior from what I have seen myself.