Cannot get Windows 10 to install on a GPT partition

lintphishx

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
I have got an Asus Rog Strix B350 F Gaming Mobo. I have set up 6 1TB drives as a RAID 10. I have successfully made a gpt partition on the raid 10. After installing the RAID drivers the partition shows up for selection but the Windows install tells me it cannot install on the drive as it is of the gpt type.

I have the mobo set to use Both UEFI and Legacy. What am I doing wrong or what else should I do to get windows to install on the GPT? I have not had a system with GPT, so I don't know if it will be noticeably better as far as performance. It seems to work fine when I let the installer do the default partitioning, I assume it is just using a MBR, however it only creates one 2TB partition leaving the other area un-allocated. I would do this but I would prefer the one ~3TB partition to be used and get any benefits of GPT performance-wise.

Solution
How are you attempting to install your OS? From a USB? If so, when using the "boot override" functionality to boot from the USB, you should be presented with two options.... something like this:
1. [UEFI] Name of USB
2. Name of USB

If you select option 1, you're selecting UEFI mode, which should only install to a GPT formatted disk.
Sounds like you might be selecting option #2.

Why have you enabled legacy support? I would re-attempt with only UEFI enabled.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
How are you attempting to install your OS? From a USB? If so, when using the "boot override" functionality to boot from the USB, you should be presented with two options.... something like this:
1. [UEFI] Name of USB
2. Name of USB

If you select option 1, you're selecting UEFI mode, which should only install to a GPT formatted disk.
Sounds like you might be selecting option #2.

Why have you enabled legacy support? I would re-attempt with only UEFI enabled.

Solution

lintphishx

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
I tried to edit a few minutes ago but it is not showing up. I will restate what I wanted to add. I think the problem is that the ASUS TurboDrive USB 3.0 is not loading in UEFI mode. I just noticed this. I thought I had a version of it in the bios that stated it was [UEFI] but I cannot find it now, or I was hallucinating. I also cannot find any drivers or way to make it boot in UEFI mode. I did just find a SD card to usb converter and happen to have a card large enough to rufus my image to it. I don't happen to have any usb sticks bigger than 2GB at the moment so I suppose I will try that first. I did not see the logic behind UEFI being the only way to install windows this way. This is my first system with UEFI and GPT. The last computer I built was about 10 years ago so I am rusty with all of the new things and how they work.

lintphishx

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
I was using a BluRay usb 3.0 drive. However I tried using... basically a usb drive that had UEFI for my image. I still could not get it to see the partition I made in diskpart. At this time I am just wanting to get my system working as I have been away from work too long. I just deleted the partition in the install gui after booting in UEFI and let windows set up the partition automatically and it is installing now and using the full disk as partition, save for the recovery and system things. Not sure if it's using GPT or not yet, but I'll look at it after install is done and check. If not, I hope I am not missing out on too much.

lintphishx

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017
As previously stated, I was using a usb 3.0 BluRay drive. However it has no UEFI mode or I cannot get that to work. Solution was, since I have no usb sticks with capacity above 2GB, I had to use an SD-Card reader and sacrifice the SD card from a Nintendo 2DS as that had 4G of space and UEFI boot options. I deleted the partition from the GUI window of W10 setup and allowed it to make the *New partitions automatically instead of using diskpart. After it installed I checked diskpart to make sure and it has made the primary partition disk space GPT. Also, it seemed to work fine installing with the USB 3.0, but it is noted that, "2.0 is usually 'safer' than attempting to use 3.0". That seems to be solved. Thank you.

As was already asked, are you using a USB stick????? If you are not using a USB stick then you can NOT get this to partition the way that you want.

lintphishx

Reputable
Nov 15, 2017

No, I answered that directly in the post you just quoted. I had to use an SD card in a usb SD card reader as I had no usb sticks. Also, if you noticed, that solved my problem and I'm set. Thank you for your time.