Cannot Initialize New Hard Drive Due to Disk Error Cyclic Redundancy Check

DunklenEins

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015
Hello all,

I recently built a new PC running Windows 7 and everything has gone well now except for the fact that my WD Blue 1TB Hard Disk Drive is not working. My computer is currently only reading off my 120gb SSD which gives me a little breathing room for now. When I attempt to initialize the 1TB hard drive, it gives me a Disk Error Cyclic Redundancy Check, and when I right click it, the initialize option is grayed out. I've looked around for solutions but for everyone else this seemed to happen to an external hard drive or one they've had for a while and their solutions weren't working for me.

Solution

You probably did not damage it.
Contact the manufacturer, and see what they say. Obviously, for a new drive, it is still under warranty.

DunklenEins

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Yeah, it's fresh out of the box. I never dropped it or anything, could I have damaged it in another way during install? Hard Disk Sentinel is reading that it only has five bad sectors.

USAFRet

Titan

You probably did not damage it.
Contact the manufacturer, and see what they say. Obviously, for a new drive, it is still under warranty.

Solution

DunklenEins

Reputable
Jan 7, 2015

Well on that note I claimed the warranty on the drive and should be here in a couple days. Final update to come then I suppose. Thanks for your help!