Cannot install .NET Framework 3.5 Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

idolize

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013
Hello All,

I need to install Network Framework 3.5 for my Windows 8.1 Sony Vaio laptop.

However, I keep receiving a

Error: 0x800F081F
The source files could not be found.

Whenever attempting to download the framework from

Control Panel\Windows Features
Then selecting the .NET Framework 3.5

I have, in addition searched for the following windows updates:

KB2966826
KB2966827
KB2966828

In:
Control Panel\Programs and Features\View Installed Updates

And cannot find ANY of the above mentioned updates that are supposed to block the installation of .NET 3.5.

I have, to no avail, figured out a way to download this:/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Windows 8 has .Net 4.0 or 4.5 installed with it i think. Here is the thing about installing .Net. If you have a newer version installed you CAN"T install an older version.

Go into Program and Features and then on the upper left is turn windows feature on or off. In here uncheck the .Net. This will uninstall the current version and you will need to restart.

Then install .Net 3.5

Once .Net 3.5 is installed go back to where you uninstalled .net 4 and check it again so it reinstalls.

Then go back and run windows updates to update .Net 3.5 and 4

idolize

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

This almost worked, was able to successfully uninstall .NET 4.5, it applied some update, (not the KB2966**** one) yet after selecting the .NET 3.5 box again in programs and features, it still hangs on applying update, then fails with error code:

0x800F0922

This link is broken, and appears to be from a support site from microsoft of every step I have already taken in attempt to install this.

Why would my computer not have the following updates?:

KB2966826
KB2966827
KB2966828

I thought that the newest Win 8.1 update (I have just recently updated) would have these updates, that I know would then block the installation of .NET 3.5.

Thanks

idolize

Honorable
Jul 23, 2013

I have tried that multiple times, continuously receiving the same error message as when I install it in Control Panel:

tfSp5O4.png

Once again, I understand something is BLOCKING the installation of .NET 3.5, and I have crossed two things off the list already:

1. .NET 4.5
2. Updates:
KB2966826
KB2966827
KB2966828

So what else could possibly be blocking the installation of this feature? I find it hard to believe how complicated this is becoming

Shinoj Kumar

Commendable
Dec 5, 2016
I solved this problem in my computer rather in a weird manner. Searching the internet I landed the solved thread to this problem, here: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2643883/install-net-framework-windows.html but the answers proved there did not worked for me. So I decided to find my own solution. My computer is running on Windows 8.1. I tried all methods but failed. As many told even though my computer was connected to the internet it said unable to download or check whether it is connected to internet. I did dism method but did not work. I don't so for how many it will work but it worked for me. Below you can find this weird solution.

For this first you must have the Windows 8.1 DVD with you. Insert the disc into the drive.

1. Press Shift+Restart. The system will restart.

2. Then click Troubleshoot.

3. Then click Advanced Options.

4. Then click Startup Settings.

5. Then you will get this screen explaining the setting you are going to initiate. Just proceed by clicking Restart.

6. After restarting you will get this screen. Press 6 in your keyboard and it will again restart. Just relax till it restarts.

Finally, when it restarts, the system will start in CMD mode with administrative permission.

When the CMD screen appears type this,

Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs

Note: The drive letter may differ. Type the correct CD drive letter in source.

The process screen will appear the wait till it reaches 100% and a confirmation message will appear that the update has been completed successfully. Then you can restart your system by typing exit and pressing enter or by pressing the power button for longer time and starting again. To check whether the .Net Framework 3.5 has installed, just type Windows Features under search and click Turn On or Off Windows features. There you will find the box checked. Boom its installed. Enjoy. I don't know the technical reasons behind this coz the standard command is Dism.exe /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFX3 /All /Source:E:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess but i deleted LimitedAccess as I felt that may be the hindrance from installing , what initiated me to do this just a simple context that in safe mode the system will use only limited resources not all updated files. Hope this will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.