Cannot punch down RJ45 cables into Jack

asimr

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Setting up a home network and adding more ethernet sockets around the home. I am struggling to get the RJ45 cables into the jacks, the connections don't seem to come into contact with the jack, meaning I have to do a lot of fidgeting to get the connection working. I have only managed to get one jack working atm, I got another 3 to do.

I got a proper punch down tool, but still struggling, could it be just crap ethernet sockets or am I doing something else wrong?

Solution
I am going to guess it would work it is outdoor cable which cost lots more and buys you nothing in the house.
I have been very hesitant lately about buying cable from ebay or even amazon, way too many dishonest sellers. When you are not buying a brand name cable like belikin or anixter or a couple other well known brands I really like to be able to see the cable. Unfortunately I can not give you a recommendation of a vendor to buy from in the UK.

Most cable will say EIA/TIA 568 on it. This means at least the company paid the license fee and in theory at least it meets the standard.... I would not put it past there be fraudulent cable on the market but so far everything I have used that was marked like this has worked fine. The...

kanewolf

Titan
Is it solid core or stranded wire? Most keystone jacks require solid core wire. Maybe you aren't untwisting enough wire to allow you to work easily. Strip the jacket for two inches. Then untwist. Since the cable will lay in the center of the keystone jack, you don't have to worry too much about not having enough twist. Punch down the conductors per the 568B standard. If you continue to have problems, they do make keystone jacks that are RJ45 on both sides (no punchdown). If you can reliably make RJ45 connections, you could switch to those type jacks.
It is also possible that the keystone jacks are poor quality. Are they a name brand or generic?

BuddhaSkoota

Admirable

Are you using the correct punchdown blade (pointed end)? Is the punch down tool an impact type (spring loaded)? The tool should provide a clean cut to the wire, which usually also indicates the wire is fully seated.
51EcVQe2lJL._SX450_.jpg

When using the punch down tool, make sure the jack is placed against something sturdy. There are special paddles made for this, but you can just use a small block of wood or similar.

asimr

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014

They are generic sockets, got them for ebay for around £10 (for all three)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191412252543?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&var=490513027033&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

The RJ45 cable is also from not best of quality to. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400804303475?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It's not twisted either.

and to Buddha, using this punch tool: http://www.screwfix.com/p/philex-auto-trim-idc-impact-insertion-tool/67391

Did I just go dead cheap or am I doing something wrong?

kanewolf

Titan
I don't know how the wire can be cat6 rated if it isn't twisted pairs... That cable is copper clad aluminum. See this FLUKE article about CCA... You need to get better cable. It will be a lot more expensive, but you need to get name brand all copper cables. Get something with Belden or Panduit, or some name brand...

Take the cable and find the nearest trash can.

This is some of the most deceptive things I have seen
"Compatible with CAT5/e/6, EIA/TIA-568 Category 6"

Trying to imply that it will even work. They even say it only runs to 150ft in the next line.

CCA cable barely even runs 1g speeds. To even imply that it comes close to cat6 standards which can run 10g at short distance is a outright lie.

At least most CCA cable I have seen at least is twisted pair. For a short patch cable that you could toss if it breaks maybe but to even think to put this crap in the walls is crazy. You have no chance with non twisted pair cable.

Again...toss the cable and get some copper cat5e cable.

asimr

Reputable
Apr 17, 2014
Man too late, already put it through the walls! But if I really need to will redo it, got 1 working in corridor and one working in living room, should really have four working. Can you guys please find me the right cable from eBay so I don't end buying some cheap one again.

Cheers
Asim

I am going to guess it would work it is outdoor cable which cost lots more and buys you nothing in the house.
I have been very hesitant lately about buying cable from ebay or even amazon, way too many dishonest sellers. When you are not buying a brand name cable like belikin or anixter or a couple other well known brands I really like to be able to see the cable. Unfortunately I can not give you a recommendation of a vendor to buy from in the UK.

Most cable will say EIA/TIA 568 on it. This means at least the company paid the license fee and in theory at least it meets the standard.... I would not put it past there be fraudulent cable on the market but so far everything I have used that was marked like this has worked fine. The guys that run our cable test every installed lead with a TDR meter just to be sure but so far any issue has always been due to poor connections at the jacks.

I would make a trip to your local home improvement store. It is extremely common to find jack,tools and cable now days. It tends to only be slightly more expensive than buying over the internet. The only problem tends to be they sell either fairly short length like 100ft or they sell a complete box at 1000ft.

Solution