Question Cannot remove write protect from external hard drive

apoluo

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2015
I have several external hard drives that have suddenly become write protected. I have attempted to remove the write protection through formatting the disk which could not be done because of the write protection. I attempted to remove the write protection by formatting the drive but was unable to because of the disk being write protected. Tried using the Diskpart Command Prompt option to no avail.
In registry I added a new DWORD, WriteProtect to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies, setting its value to "0" which did not work.

I was able to write to the drives using a different computer. I have the same problem with flash drives as well. which tells me that the problem is with my computer and not the external drives.

How can write protection be removed from external drives?

I am running
Windows 10 64 bit Pro
Version 22H2
OS Build 19045.4529

Ralston18

Titan
I would not expect that a whole group of external drives and flash drives would suddenly become write protected.

If you can write to the disks on another computer then the problem is not a "write protect" on the disks.

The problem is more likely an end user/Group Policy restriction on the computer that you are using in the attempt to write to the disks.

Any such restrictions would need to be changed by the applicable Administrator responsible for the computer you are using.

Your permissions need to be checked as a starting point. Then, as applicable, reconfigured to provide your user account with the necessary permissions to write to disks.