Question Cannot rename files or folders

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I've tried every solution under mictosoft help to allow me to rename folders in win10 10.0.19045. Most say settings need to be changed in windows defender. Some blame my anti-virus, aka, Norton 360. Could 360 be the culprit? I'll get an dialog saying the named file/folder cannot be found even tho' explorer is plainly showing it. Any suggestions?

USAFRet

Titan
I've tried every solution under mictosoft help to allow me to rename folders in win10 10.0.19045. Most say settings need to be changed in windows defender. Some blame my anti-virus, aka, Norton 360. Could 360 be the culprit? I'll get an dialog saying the named file/folder cannot be found even tho' explorer is plainly showing it. Any suggestions?
"Cannot rename files or folders"

Need a whole lot of backstory on this.
Like...everything.

kep55

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm trying to rename files and folders on a WD NAS EX4100. I used to be able to rename any file or folder in the NAS from file explorer but now I get a message the file or folder can't be found even though it displays bold as brass.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I'm trying to rename files and folders on a WD NAS EX4100. I used to be able to rename any file or folder in the NAS from file explorer but now I get a message the file or folder can't be found even though it displays bold as brass.
Does the account you are using, when attempting to make the changes, have admin(or read/write) access on the NAS?

What Windows cannot do, often 7-Zip can. However the folders being on a NAS device running Linux adds another wrinkle, particularly if you cannot rename any folder on it (that is, it's not due to corrupt or non-ASCII characters in the name).

Before you start disabling things, it's a good idea to rule out the most obvious: if your Linux device automatically does a filesystem check on boot before mount (usually only if formatted Ext3/4), then a power cycle is in order. Or in its Dashboard there is also a "Scan Disk" function. Even installing the disks in a PC to do a chkdsk/fsck would be reasonable if they are not in RAID.