Question Cannot resolve possible static issue

Aug 7, 2022
Hi

I have been having this issue intermittently for the past six months. Sometimes computer will power up, fan will spin, but will not boot. I have brought it to a repair tech for an emergency repair and got charged $140 canadian for diagnosis, $80 for cleaning and $40 for thermal paste and to add missing screw to mother board. Although the computer worked at the time I brought it back home, the issue was never corrected. Here are some details

• After research, I found this temporary fix that works every time to get the computer booting i.e. unplug all cables, hold power button on computer for 30 seconds, replug alll cables, power computer ON
  • I understand that releases static electrictiy accumulated within the parts
  • Myself, I never get static chocks in the room my computer is in
  • This room is in the basement, naturally more humidity than rest of house
  • I have a vinyl floor in the basement, no carpet
  • The problem occurred over the past six months, both summer and winter
  • I had noticed a pattern where this perhaps seemed (?) to happen while I was working on my computer while wearing rubber sandals, and it would not (?) happen if I was barefeet or in socks
  • Now the problem happens even if barefeet
  • I have a General Electric GE 14096 3000 joules power bar/surge protector. It has two status lights (protected, grounded). These are properly lit.
  • Specs below
Would you have possible solutions? Or more insight on the problem so I am more educated about the situation if I have to bring it back to the repair tech. Thanks

Computer specs

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz Skylake 14nm Technology

16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1070MHz (15-15-15-35)

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A (LGA1151)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA)

931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00RLFA0 (SATA )

Optical Drives ASUS DRW-24F1ST c

Realtek High Definition Audio

Monitors

EB321HQ A (1920x1080@60Hz)

ASUS VW266H (1920x1200@59Hz)

AL2223W (1680x1050@59Hz)

External drive

1863GB Seagate Basic SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )

1863GB Seagate BUP Slim SL SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age.

Now the problem happens even if barefeet
You have a grounding issue, might want to call in a certified electrician and see if your ground wire/circuitry has been compromised.

Hi

I have been having this issue intermittently for the past six months. Sometimes computer will power up, fan will spin, but will not boot. I have brought it to a repair tech for an emergency repair and got charged $140 canadian for diagnosis, $80 for cleaning and $40 for thermal paste and to add missing screw to mother board. Although the computer worked at the time I brought it back home, the issue was never corrected. Here are some details

• After research, I found this temporary fix that works every time to get the computer booting i.e. unplug all cables, hold power button on computer for 30 seconds, replug alll cables, power computer ON
  • I understand that releases static electrictiy accumulated within the parts
  • Myself, I never get static chocks in the room my computer is in
  • This room is in the basement, naturally more humidity than rest of house
  • I have a vinyl floor in the basement, no carpet
  • The problem occurred over the past six months, both summer and winter
  • I had noticed a pattern where this perhaps seemed (?) to happen while I was working on my computer while wearing rubber sandals, and it would not (?) happen if I was barefeet or in socks
  • Now the problem happens even if barefeet
  • I have a General Electric GE 14096 3000 joules power bar/surge protector. It has two status lights (protected, grounded). These are properly lit.
  • Specs below
Would you have possible solutions? Or more insight on the problem so I am more educated about the situation if I have to bring it back to the repair tech. Thanks

Computer specs

Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHz Skylake 14nm Technology

16.0GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1070MHz (15-15-15-35)

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-A (LGA1151)

4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 (EVGA)

931GB Western Digital WDC WD1003FZEX-00RLFA0 (SATA )

Optical Drives ASUS DRW-24F1ST c

Realtek High Definition Audio

Monitors

EB321HQ A (1920x1080@60Hz)

ASUS VW266H (1920x1200@59Hz)

AL2223W (1680x1050@59Hz)

External drive

1863GB Seagate Basic SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )

1863GB Seagate BUP Slim SL SCSI Disk Device (USB (SATA) )
Cheap test.....replace the bios bat.

Aug 7, 2022
Thanks for quick replies.

Re. the power supply, I will try to dig out the info (not confident I still have it). I got the computer in June 2017.

I understand the grounding issue is a possibility even though the 'grounded' status light on the surge protector is lit green? .... I did order an electrical receptacle tester to double check the ground and I should get it tomorrow.

I will take note of the quick test to replace BIOS battery. I am not very handy, will make the suggestion to repair tech if the problem is not the home 's electricity.

Thanks for quick replies.

Re. the power supply, I will try to dig out the info (not confident I still have it). I got the computer in June 2017.

I understand the grounding issue is a possibility even though the 'grounded' status light on the surge protector is lit green? .... I did order an electrical receptacle tester to double check the ground and I should get it tomorrow.

I will take note of the quick test to replace BIOS battery. I am not very handy, will make the suggestion to repair tech if the problem is not the home 's electricity.
Ask your neighbor's 12 year old to replace the bat for you.
They eat this stuff for breakfast.

Aug 7, 2022
I tested the receptacle and indeed there was a faulty ground on one of the two outlets on the electrical receptacle. Thanks Lutfij and Bob for diagnosing the problem.