Question Cannot run chkdsk write protected help please?

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys, I am working on a Lenovo V330-1.5KB Laptop running windows 10. it goes to desktop fine but cannot go the net, click on the Start button, cannot see the C drive Properties when I right click on it, system does not recognize any regular USB flash drive. It only recognizes a Boot USB.

I tried running SFX/scannow from CMD, it will not run. I then tried running chkdsk/r then chkdsk /c/r/x same deal. It is showing:

The type of file system is NTFS.
Cannot lock current drive
Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

There are documents on the laptop which needs first to be saved otherwise I would have tried reloading Win10 so this is where I'm at any ideas please? Thx.

There are documents on the laptop which needs first to be saved otherwise I would have tried reloading Win10 so this is where I'm at any ideas please?
SSD locks itself, when all write cycles have been exhausted.
This is done to prevent data loss.
SSD has to be replaced after this.

BTW - did you run chkdsk /f from elevated command prompt? It will not work from regular command prompt.

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
No I am looking at the instructions on the net now:

In Windows 10, you can use the search box inside the Start menu. Type cmd there and press CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER to launch the command prompt elevated. This also works on the Start screen.

which I am not understanding, since the Start menu is not working, does this mean I will need to accesss the elevated command prompt outside of windows? If yes, what exactly would I do once I get to the cmd please?

I can also get the cmd from task manager but not seeing how to run the elevated command?

Last edited:
If you can get to Task manager, then launch cmd in elevated mode by using checkbox "create task with administrative privileges".
Then run
chkdsk c: /f

h3yXU.png

Reactions: mikehende
Reactions: mikehende

mikehende

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2013
No worries, I replaced the drive and all seems fine so we know for sure. I had also tried removing the drive and connecting to data recovery software but it would not see the drive.

I appreciate your efforts to help though, thanks, take it easy!