[SOLVED] Cannot see specific pc on network

Dec 5, 2019
Hi all.
New here and this is my first post so please excuse me if I do something incorrectly.

I use an Asus laptop with Windows 10 Home v1909, OS build 18363.476 (if that matters) at work and am connected to our wifi.
We have a pc set up as a server connected to the network that just holds all of our files on it and everyone in the office can access the folders from the network.
We have our own usernames and pw's for accessing this server from the network.

About a week ago, my pc just stopped seeing the server in the list of pc's on the network. It sees all of the other computers on the network, but for whatever reason, not the server pc.
Everyone else, including new computers can still see the server pc just fine. I will say that I am the only one connected to wifi, granted, I had my friend bring his laptop here to test and he sees it just fine too.

I tried everything I could think of including, messing with the sharing options from the Network and Sharing Center and a couple things I found on Google. We even had our outside IT guy come in and he couldn't fix it either. He said he ran some scan (sfc scan maybe?) and it found corrupt files or something. Something about a workstation not being enabled and couldnt be because it was corrupt or something like that. He said he got one fixed and up and running but the other he could not figure out.
He advised me at last resort to just to a wipe and factory reset of my pc.
Well, I did that this morning and I'm still having the issue.

If anyone can help with this issue it would be GREATLY appreciated. I use a program here for work that relies on me having access to that server pc, I can't use the program without it. So it's really kind of been halting my production in that area of my work.

Please let me know if you need anymore info or anything!

Thanks!
-Stephen

Ralston18

Titan
Ensure that only the wireless network adapter is enabled on your pc.

Does the wireless adapter happen to be a USB adapter? If so try using a USB extension cable to move the adapter up and away from the pc.

Also if a USB wireless adapter heck the adapter (carefully) to determine if it feels very warm or even hot. If so, then it may have or be failing.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters - the troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Reinstall the wireless network adapter's drivers.

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt.

Dec 5, 2019
Thanks for the responses, guys.
@kanewolf - welp, I feel like a dummy. I guess I kind of assumed our IT guy who was fiddling around on my computer for an hour last week would have tried that. Or maybe he did and it wasn't working. I have wiped and reset my pc since then so maybe that's what did the trick. Who knows. Either way, the \\servername worked! I'm not sure as to why it doesn't show up in my list of network computers but hey, I can connect so I won't complain.

Thank you so much!

Dec 5, 2019
Ensure that only the wireless network adapter is enabled on your pc.

Does the wireless adapter happen to be a USB adapter? If so try using a USB extension cable to move the adapter up and away from the pc.

Also if a USB wireless adapter heck the adapter (carefully) to determine if it feels very warm or even hot. If so, then it may have or be failing.

Try running the built in Windows Troubleshooters - the troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Reinstall the wireless network adapter's drivers.

Run and post the results of "ipconfig /all" via the command prompt.
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. But kanewolf's suggestion worked. Didn't think it'd be that simple.