[SOLVED] Cannot select preferred wifi frequency

Dec 15, 2019
Hi,
I just bought the Asus USB-AC68 AC1900 Wifi stick and installed the drivers. However in the device manager I can not select a preferred wifi frequency. I tried 2 other wifi adapter which all supported 5Ghz but had the same problem with them. On the internal wifi chip the option is available and working fine as seen in the video. (internal chip: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168)
video of the problem: https://streamable.com/pq66x

Is there any way to set the preferred wifi frequency for the adapter ?

Solution
both have the same SSID. I found a way to set the wifi to 802.11 b/g for example.
Now my question is:
Does the 2.4Ghz wifi run diffrent / faster with 802.11 AC than with 802.11 b/g activated?
If you have the same SSID, then you should check on your router to see which band your device has connected to. It may be on the 5Ghz band even if you didn't explicitly set it. You may also want to turn DOWN the power on the 2.4Ghz radio if you can. That will help the 5Ghz signal seem stronger and the device will connect to it. If all else fails, then create unique SSIDs on the two bands and you can explictly connect to one or the other.

2.4Ghz should be left with N/AC. Don't limit it to B/G.

kanewolf

Titan
both have the same SSID. I found a way to set the wifi to 802.11 b/g for example.
Now my question is:
Does the 2.4Ghz wifi run diffrent / faster with 802.11 AC than with 802.11 b/g activated?
If you have the same SSID, then you should check on your router to see which band your device has connected to. It may be on the 5Ghz band even if you didn't explicitly set it. You may also want to turn DOWN the power on the 2.4Ghz radio if you can. That will help the 5Ghz signal seem stronger and the device will connect to it. If all else fails, then create unique SSIDs on the two bands and you can explictly connect to one or the other.

2.4Ghz should be left with N/AC. Don't limit it to B/G.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
Would using 802.11 N also decrease ping and influence other network factors or only the max. possible bandwith? (in comparison to 802.11 b/g)
No. The only thing that would decrease ping is using a wired connection. All of these other things you are tweaking will probably just hurt your performance. I would recommend doing a factory reset on the router based on the types of things you have been talking about changing.