[SOLVED] Cannot shrink C: partition due to \$Mft::$BITMAP error ?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yashdsingh2004

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
Hi,

-> I cannot shrink C: partition in Windows 11. 105GB is free yet in Disk Management I get around 24-26GB only. It gives the error of unmovable files. (Full specs at bottom)
-> I am writing this after disabling hibernation, page file, system restore, and restarting my laptop.
-> Now, when I am trying to shrink, I am getting \$Mft::$BITMAP error in Event Viewer, more precisely ->
A volume shrink analysis was initiated on volume (C:). This event log entry details information about the last unmovable file that could limit the maximum number of reclaimable bytes.

Diagnostic details:
- The last unmovable file appears to be: \$Mft::$BITMAP
- The last cluster of the file is: 0x34b6134
- Shrink potential target (LCN address): 0x20ceb3c
- The NTFS file flags are: -S--S
- Shrink phase: <analysis>

To find more details about this file, please use the "fsutil volume querycluster \\?\Volume{adf0c1b6-ea35-4824-8bec-33e20d926158} 0x34b6134" command.

So, I ran fsutil volume querycluster \\?\Volume{adf0c1b6-ea35-4824-8bec-33e20d926158} 0x34b6134 and I got this:

a8LrwPw.png

I tried to get info about \$Mft::$BITMAP and one site mentioned to use Contig utility to fix it but didn't said how. I downloaded it from. I tried 2 commands from it:
1. Contig.exe -a -s -v c:\\$mft

UNMRmHH.png

2. Contig.exe -a -s -q -v c:\\$mft

LPKEZ6f.png

Specs:
Acer Nitro AN715-51
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz
8.00 GB (7.84 GB usable)
Intel UHD Graphics 630 / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650
Windows 11 Home Single Language 22H2

Pic of my Disk Management:
Disk 0 is HDD, Disk 1 is SSD. I have no idea why there's 2 F: partitions in Disk 0 but since it appeared in Windows File Explorer as 1 partition, I just left it as it is. Also, regarding New Volume U: (7MB) in SSD, I remember finding unallocated space when I got the laptop from someone. They said they couldn't merge it, so I left it as it is since it's just 7MB.
iocLVUA.png

Now, I just don't know how to resolve this to partition C:. Does anyone know anything?

Last edited:
Solution
Which commands do you think I should run in recovery environment? Also, is recovering environment the one where u access cmd from some advanced startup menu options?

Is there a free software I can perform partition? Only one I know of is minitool which is paid for doing this task.
Partition Wizard has a free version, it might be able to do this.

The only other tool I remember using was EaseUS's Partition Master

yashdsingh2004

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
I guess you need administrator privileges to modify the $Bitmap metafile. The documentation for Contig does say that it can defragment this file:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/contig

That said, I'm guessing that this must be the only file whose content is changed by the defragmentation process. That's because this file contains a map which indicates whether each cluster is free or in-use. This map would include those clusters that are occupied by the $Bitmap file itself. So, if you move the $Bitmap file, you change the clusters which it occupies, which then changes the map.
Thing is I am indeed using elevated cmd, still it's saying access denied. I just dunno what is the issue, in commands or whatnot. Also, I roughly got what you said later but dunno if I should attemp that.

yashdsingh2004

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
So, I was making a mistake of using the pro version's free trial since i thought that's what i was supposed to do.
Anyways I was able to split with minitool free version.
@Ralston18 Since this issue is solved, I would like to close this issue but not sure whom to Mark as solution since multiple people suggested minitool and that's what worked for me in the end? I am quite confused.

Ralston18

Titan
@yashdsingh2004

There should be a circled checkmark appearing on the right sided of each post.

Hover the mouse cursor in the circle and the words "Mark as solution" should appear.

You can click the circle to select and mark the post of your choice that led to or directly provided the solution.

Doing so will mark the thread as Solved with some green highlighting on the chosen post.

yashdsingh2004

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
@yashdsingh2004

Hover the mouse cursor in the circle and the words "Mark as solution" should appear.

You can click the circle to select and mark the post of your choice that led to or directly provided the solution.

Doing so will mark the thread as Solved with some green highlighting on the chosen post.
Alright, I will just mark the first person who suggested minitool as solution.

yashdsingh2004

Honorable
Oct 6, 2018
@yashdsingh2004

I have marked one as solution, still this thread is not getting the green SOLVED tag :sweat: