Cannot Stream over ~480p for Movie Rentals (Netflix/Vudu/Youtube/etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
Online Youtube etc. can easily go 4k when streaming for me (for example, here):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmyF5ge6SQU&ab_channel=swtheoldrepublic
however it seems whenever I stream something on Vudu or netflix or whatever through Chrome or any browser, I get 480p or maybe if I'm lucky, 1080p (eyeballing it I doubt it goes over 720 normally). At least Youtube is up front about it, and I finally tried that today and it straight up told me this movie I rented was only able to go 480p without me needing to guess. But I'm a bit tired of this. My mega awesome PC and monitor should be able to give me 4k resolution when streaming videos because I keep hearing how widely available it is, even through the services I'm using. I don't know what's up, and my looking into it has reached a bit of a dead end (though I've at least found I'm not alone when it comes to Youtube), and I'm tired of trying to figure this out over the years.

So what am I doing wrong? I don't care to continue spending $4 a weekend for poor 480p quality movie rentals on my PC, which is the only place I can watch them. Can anyone guide me as to why all my movie rentals that I pay for in HD or UHD really just don't come through with that kind of quality, and how I can actually see these things in high quality with some sort of app or external plugin, or something on my PC?

kanewolf

Titan
however it seems whenever I stream something on Vudu or netflix or whatever through Chrome or any browser, I get 480p or maybe if I'm lucky, 1080p (eyeballing it I doubt it goes over 720 normally). At least Youtube is up front about it, and I finally tried that today and it straight up told me this movie I rented was only able to go 480p without me needing to guess. But I'm a bit tired of this. My mega awesome PC and monitor should be able to give me 4k resolution when streaming videos because I keep hearing how widely available it is, even through the services I'm using. I don't know what's up, and my looking into it has reached a bit of a dead end (though I've at least found I'm not alone when it comes to Youtube), and I'm tired of trying to figure this out over the years.

So what am I doing wrong? I don't care to continue spending $4 a weekend for poor 480p quality movie rentals on my PC, which is the only place I can watch them. Can anyone guide me as to why all my movie rentals that I pay for in HD or UHD really just don't come through with that kind of quality, and how I can actually see these things in high quality with some sort of app or external plugin, or something on my PC?
It sounds like something in your system is failing HDCP.

Netsurfer733

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2013
High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection...fascinating. Does that have to do with that Playwhatever 3.0? Do I have any control over any of this?

Cj-tech

Admirable
Jan 27, 2021

What model PC do you have and what are your internet speeds? How is it connecting to the monitor, and what model monitor is it? Go to this website to test the internet upload/download speeds: https://www.speedtest.net/

Status
Not open for further replies.