Question I cannot upgrade the RAM on Alienware gaming laptop ?

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
I just purchased an Alienware M16 R1 gaming laptop from Best Buy. It is configured as follows: Core i9 13900HX, RTX 4080 and 16Gb 5600MHZ ram. I am attempting to install 64GB of 5200MHZ ram which according to the Setup and Specifications guide found on the support page for this laptop, it supports 64GB of 5200MHZ ram.

However, after installing the new ram I purchased, the power button flashes red twice and then blue four times and will never even post. I've tried using only one module at a time and the same thing. I did only try the one module in DIMM slot 1. Right now I am typing this from the laptop with the original ram it was shipped with. Is there anything I'm missing? I've upgraded ram in laptops before with no issues. Of course Dell says the ram is defective (no they haven't tested it nor has anyone else). Any help would be appreciated.

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
exact model of this new ram?
Crucial CT2K32G52C42S5. The next to last character is either an S or a 5. It appears to be an S. According to Dell sales this ram is compatible. Can I post a link from Amazon where I purchased the ram?

That is also listed as compatible on the crucial website so it should be the right kit.

Did you update to the latest BIOS before doing the memory upgrade?

You may need to do a BIOS reset if you are already updated and they didn't already have you do it.

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
I did the BIOS update but after I attempted the upgrade. So that may actually make a difference? I'll research how to perform a BIOS reset. I have tried the upgrade again since updating the BIOS and had the same issue.

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
I performed a BIOS reset and inserted the ram again. Same thing. Two red flashes from the power button and four blue flashes after that. Maybe the ram is actually bad. The laptop works fine with the ram that came installed.

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
I know laptops can be finicky, but at this point I'd lean more towards the new kit of memory just not working for some reason.
Of course I'm thinking that's a possibility but I've also tried 64gb of brand new Corsair Vengeance 4800MHZ RAM with the same issue. I tried 64gb of known good Gskill Ripjaws 4800MHZ RAM with the same issue. Now the Crucial RAM which I purchased new, with the same issue. I'm leaning very heavily toward their being an issue with the laptop. I tried one stick at a time of the Crucial RAM in DIMM slot 1 with the same issue. I'm thinking maybe my laptop has an issue with a 32gb stick of RAM in the DIMM slots, even though the setup manual says it's compatible.

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
I tried the Crucial RAM in my Dell G16 7630 and it booted just fine. All 64gb were recognized by the system. The only thing I've noticed when installing any RAM other than what was shipped with the laptop is one of the DIMM slots (don't remember which one), the RAM doesn't just click into place perfectly like the RAM shipped with the laptop. I'm thinking something might have been damaged at the factory and Dell doesn't seem interested in the least in supporting their product. I may try them again, not sure. I may just return it to Best Buy.

faresdani

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I tried the Crucial RAM in my Dell G16 7630 and it booted just fine. All 64gb were recognized by the system. The only thing I've noticed when installing any RAM other than what was shipped with the laptop is one of the DIMM slots (don't remember which one), the RAM doesn't just click into place perfectly like the RAM shipped with the laptop. I'm thinking something might have been damaged at the factory and Dell doesn't seem interested in the least in supporting their product. I may try them again, not sure. I may just return it to Best Buy.

Hi Jaba102,

Any update on that matter?

thanks

jaba102

Prominent
Jul 14, 2022
Hi Jaba102,

Any update on that matter?

thanks
Yeah, I pretty much tried everything. The BIOS was up to date, and all of the RAM I attempted to upgrade the laptop with was known-good RAM, as it posted and booted in another laptop. I was never able to resolve the issue with the laptop not posting with anything other than the 16 GB it shipped with. I eventually returned the laptop to Best Buy and exchanged it for another Alienware, just a different model.