Question Canon ink not genuine

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
Hi. I have used compatables on my TS5051 and previouse printers before. I put in the last (Yellow) cartridge today only to be told it is not genuine. I had another box for when that box was empty and got the same message. I am using wi-fi on my printer so maybe a new update. Does anyone know about this please?

Genune ink is £66,49. I payed £68 for this printer 2 years ago.

Now even more confusing nearly 2 hours later the printer decides to print my documents. I also found genuine ink on line cheeper. I payed by paypal so could canel it.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Do you know if the Canon printer is "phoning home" to report its' status to Canon?

My immediate thought is that between the wifi, the canon software/drivers, and the possible status reporting that it just took some time for everything to get caught up.

Canon may have made some changes to their apps and verifications. Maybe to catch and capture "compatibles" versus "genuine".

Ink/toner is how Canon and other printer manufacturers actually make money on printers. The printer's (especially older models) are often marked down for sales and the ink goes up in price shortly thereafter. And of course the cartridges are not usable in newer model printers and sometimes (as I learned with Canon) not even between the same model printer.

I now have an HP printer but they play games too.....

USAFRet

Titan
Not all 'compatibles' are the same.
They may have changed their detection routine.

And for inkjets, the initial price of the printer is VERY often cheaper than genuine replacement carts.
They make their money on the ink, not the printer.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
They must have had a software update. I have used The large black, Black, Cyan and Magenta. When I inserted the last one Yello it was not genuine. I have stuck with the same brand. But it was left on and burst into life and printed.

Seems like the price of the ink is worth replacing the printer every time.

MrLitschel

Commendable
Nov 7, 2021
They must have had a software update. I have used The large black, Black, Cyan and Magenta. When I inserted the last one Yello it was not genuine. I have stuck with the same brand. But it was left on and burst into life and printed.

Seems like the price of the ink is worth replacing the printer every time.

If you were to replace the printer every time, you would be spending more as the cartridges that come with a new printer are referred to as "Demo Cartridges" and only hold one-third to half that of a full cartridge. When I owned a Canon printer the included cartridges only had enough ink for about 100 pages. Epson printers are about half & HP are usually one third. This goes for Laser printers as well.

As stated above, the printer manufactures' make the money from selling the replacement cartridges.

TRENDING THREADS