Canonical Announces New Ubuntu Mobile OS for Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.

myromance123

Honorable
Aug 17, 2012
Looks cool, and the feature to dock it and get the standard Ubuntu desktop experience is what I'm really interested in. Hopefully, this will mean greater optimizations to Compiz and Ubuntu as a whole.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Looks very interesting. Now we'll see how are they going to convince people to switch from one ecosystem to another. The unified experience includes phone, tablet & tv and the only business that I've seen convincing people to switch almost everything has been Apple with their costumers (some call them isheeps). Now, based on the video it seems that the tablet has enough power which doesn't have to be that much anyways for most people nowadays.

loudenvier

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
It really seems more of a unified interface than Windows Phone!!! This amazed me! Microsoft is researching this lead for years... I didn't got my hands on a Surface Pro, but I believe Ubunto Tablets will be like the Surface Pro but at half the price!!!

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
What are they running this on? Looks like a nexus 7?

I use Ubuntu at home for my living room pc for music mostly. They seem to be serious in terms of covering the tablet and smartphone market. Ubuntu phones should be coming by end of the year.

And no, Ubuntu tablets won't cost half of surface pro for the same hardware. Anyone hoping for that will be very disappointed. That being said Ubuntu should run fine on arm architecture so getting it as an option on a Surface RT tablet sounds interesting.

loudenvier

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
[citation][nom]Niva[/nom]And no, Ubuntu tablets won't cost half of surface pro for the same hardware. Anyone hoping for that will be very disappointed. That being said Ubuntu should run fine on arm architecture so getting it as an option on a Surface RT tablet sounds interesting.[/citation]

I was refering to the multitude of processors Ubuntu runs on... Windows 8 doesn't run on arm, only the stripped down version on RT. That's why it should cost half as much of a pro and still offer desktop applications at reasonable (not as fast) speeds.

digitalvampire

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
I'm an older Linux developer and Free Software enthusiast, so, obviously, I'm not a fan of Ubuntu. However, I would like to see another player in the Mobile OS field. As long as they can get some partners and not keep it as locked down as the dominant mobile Linux OS (Android), then I'm sure they'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.