Canonical Launching Ubuntu 16.04 LTS April 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaded gas only

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2010
WooT!
I've been using Xubuntu for the past few years but I need better driver support so I'm looking at going back to Ubuntu. I like to stick to LTS releases because otherwise all support stops for intermediate releases and you are left for dead.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
Good thing I read the upgrade docs since I use Radeon R9 390 card:

"If you use a device with AMD Radeon graphics hardware you should NOT upgrade at present. The fglrx driver is now deprecated in 16.04, and although open source alternatives (radeon and amdgpu) are recommended, they do not deliver comparable performance."

Guess I'll have to wait awhile for the official driver support from AMD.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
It isn't coming, AMD is killing off fglrx and integrating the stack as open-source, from what I have heard.

Yeah, it's one of the reasons I upgraded to the newest Radeon R9 to take advantage of the open source. So I guess it's going to take awhile to get the most performance and speed benefits out of this card. I will back up my current setup since I have three monitors so usually goes wonky after the upgrade and have to go through a couple of tries via installing the AMD drivers to get it to work properly.

cat1092

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2009
What good is the new release when they're not supporting highly popular AMD GPU's? Some of which cost over $300, while many are below that price, still no proper driver support, that leaves many Ubuntu's users with only one choice....ride out 14.04 LTS until Canonical comes to their senses & provide graphics support for AMD users.

Tried the Ubuntu MATE version, the only hardware driver offered was for AMD CPU microcode, and the screen looks & acts as though garbage.

Hopefully with Linux Mint 18 is released (normally Mint updates 2-3 months after Ubuntu), they'll have a solution for those with AMD graphics.

Looks as though Canonical is giving AMD the cold shoulder with Ubuntu 16.04 LTS.

Cat

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS