Canonical Releases Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Status
Not open for further replies.

zacktheperson

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2009
Canonical, oh why hath thou ruined Ubuntu 11.10 with an even more restrictive Unity GUI and locked down the classic gnome.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Hopefully the next iteration of Ubuntu will revert back as everyone wants, My sys76 laptop will just keep 11.04 for a bit longer!

G

I'm not sure what everybody is whining about. If you want a classic gnome2-like experience, use Xubuntu. If you want Gnome-Shell, they have a package for it.

I installed it yesterday hours after it came out, after a rough alpha and beta cycle, it actually turned out OK. It has good usability for power users, it's stable, and it doesn't get in the way.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Remove Unity, Ubuntu One, this new backup BS, install Gnome and it's ready to be used. Not that I'll upgrade from 10.10 on my netbook without any reason; but I'll be sure to play around with it on my desktop.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
[citation][nom]boris152[/nom]If you're looking for an Ubuntu-based distro with classic Gnome support, Linux Mint is the most popular. It's like being able to breath again after using Ubuntu.[/citation]

I second this.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
1. it installed in about double the time of 11.04
2. the boot time has also increased.
3. there is no "ubuntu classic" by default.
4. unity is basically crap for people who have switched to ubuntu from windows.

G

Antilycus: +1, Ubuntu Server is awesome for being CLI-only, it's so fast and resource efficient.

I can make a Ubuntu test-VM of a new server on any old piece-o-crap desktop laying around my work, and it will run respectably on any machine with atleast 512mb or RAM, if it doesn't have virt-acceleration. If I decide to move the test VM into production, I can export it, and then import it onto a real VM server, and Ubuntu is smart enough to detect the hardware changes.

If I need a GUI for anything I'm working on, I can just install GUI tools on my regular PC like PGAdmin, Eclipse, etc... and then use Samba shares or the network to connect to the VM.

mikeangs2004

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
It installed flawlessly for w/in Windows in my laptop and advanced dual boot in my Desktop. I would say just like all previous versions, the laptop had some minor display driver issues w/ G1 Intel HD graphics at least.

G

I like the unity interface. Maybe my needs are just simple, but so far it suits my needs. Using it on my 'home' pc & laptop.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Okay, 11.10 OFFICIALLY sucks. I installed it on an Atom test machine and, although I know Atoms suck, about every other OS out there (XP, 7, 10.10, 11.04) is MUCH faster on it. I hate Unity, and new Gnome is HORRIBLE compared to what we had in 11.04. Unless Canonical gets their heads out of their asses by 12.04 and allows us to use older Gnome, Mint switch is imminent. For now, I'm just gonna pretend 11.10 doesn't exist (SO GLAD I tried it on a test machine first and didn't install it on my netbook & desktop!)

Status
Not open for further replies.