Canonical Showcasing Ubuntu TV This Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Not sure this is for me. i got a basic tv with basic channels. i rent movies when i want to see something or go to the theaters besides that i watch all my shows/series on the computer.

crunchydoodle

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2012
This sure looks a lot like Microsoft Media Center which I use for TV, DVDs, video and photo slideshows. What about the Electronic Program Guide updates? Who will pay for that? I assume this software will be free, as ubuntu is.

For the record, I am a grandfather of six and about to be the great grandfather of two. Grandma has her own HTPC with W7 MC, two ReplayTV boxes and an XBOX 360 for being an MC extender for the CableCard MC box I have in the livingroom. I like this. :)

acasel

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks to android the LINUX is getting more developed..

Who knows in the near future, mainstream computers are LINUX based. :D

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Will this be a downloadable distribution, and will it be available in Australia?
If both are yes, I will purposely build a HTPC based on the E350 (Or a Llano system depending on requirements) just to see what this service is like.

Also in the video when it said "All your movies" and "All your TV" I sort of expected "Belong to us". >.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]acasel[/nom]Thanks to android the LINUX is getting more developed.. Who knows in the near future, mainstream computers are LINUX based.[/citation]

Ubuntu has been making linux better way before Andriod existed. This is nice although this does not seem to be something new. The interface is not bad.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
"how TV will work in the future"

It won't exist in the future. The "watch what we want you to when we want you to" and "no saving what we send you" concepts are doomed. They are only being preserved by immense legislative efforts, but slowly the tide is turning and once they're gone, those concepts will never return. Consumers would never let them.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Everything I've read about this TV concept - including their site - says streaming from the cloud. I'd only be really interested in this if it can stream from my media server and end the need for me to have a separate front-end Ubuntu PC connected to my TV for my video library. If it ends up having that, sign me up.

the_crippler

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
[citation][nom]joytech22[/nom]Will this be a downloadable distribution, and will it be available in Australia?If both are yes, I will purposely build a HTPC based on the E350 (Or a Llano system depending on requirements) just to see what this service is like.Also in the video when it said "All your movies" and "All your TV" I sort of expected "Belong to us". >.[/citation]

I think you're missing the point of this product: It's not a distro, but an all-in-one TV with the aim of eliminating the need for an HTPC. (now, in my post above, I already have one that I'm hoping to integrate with it, but that's a separate issue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.