Canonical Will Take Ubuntu to Smartphones, Tablets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hah! The moment this hits the mainstream I am all over it! Imagine the open-source community hard at work to make it fully compatible with the hardware of your choice... Heaven.

G

I don't know what to think on this, they've got a lot of work to do to adapt to a good user experience, used 11.04 it fits on a netbook like a glove, but verbatim as is Unity is a lousy smartphone Op. Env. compare to Android whose GUI system fits as a phone.

bergieberg

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Let me just put this here. Ubuntu sucks. Unity is the worst user interface since Windows 3.1. 11.10 broke every application I was using, then broke itself when I tried a clean install. Every time they make an update, I wonder how they manage to make it worse. I'm not talking XP -> Vista worse, I'm talking XP -> ME worse.

G

Yup ,ubuntu plus unity a mess i rather use vista...not
Anyway ubuntu is not that free open source anymore.
I wonder if it even qualifyes as a true linux platform.

G

Ubuntu smartphone. For those who find their smartphone not boring enough.

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
1) Make UBUNTU even more user friendly and eye candy
2) Come up with an method to avoid fragmentation
3) Have a huge App Store from the day 1 + cross compatibility with Android apps
4) Consult with devs from XDA
5) Consult with kids/teens/and business folks

[citation][nom]bergieberg[/nom]Let me just put this here. Ubuntu sucks. Unity is the worst user interface since Windows 3.1. 11.10 broke every application I was using, then broke itself when I tried a clean install. Every time they make an update, I wonder how they manage to make it worse. I'm not talking XP -> Vista worse, I'm talking XP -> ME worse.[/citation]
That's why I use the LTS version. Works well.

ruel24

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
If they're smart, they'll look at KDE Plasma Active, and not the Unity interface. However, lately, Ubuntu has proven itself to not be very smart at all.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]WR2[/nom]If MS can put Win7 on phones and Win8 on tablets I suppose anything is possible.[/citation]
Windows PHONE 7 not Windows 7. And yes, I think this is fantastic that Canonical is doing this. By the way, for all of you complaining about Unity just get 10.10 or 10.04 LTS. Problem solved!

G

Bergieberg: I call FUD. You can dislike Unity, but Ubuntu has made huge leaps in stability from 9.10 onwards. What applications did it break for you? Links to the bug reports? That's what I thought.

G

Maybe Crysis will finally come to smartphones through Wine (?) ^_^

G

Maybe Crysis will finally come to smartphones through Wine (?) ^_^

G

hell just having the drivers created for a native linux compiled for ARM will make this almost perfect in any sense. some one could make a custom launcher that would just use the kernel. Then the drives are already there... I would love my Optimus V with a true Linux using a special UI. Hell make adw or launcher Pro work and the interface is done..

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
I would have never guessed that they were planning a smartphone/tablet push. I though that Unity was an attempt to get users to switch back to terminals. :D

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Seems like the Smart Phone industry is already full with Android and Iphones. Web OS is gone and I havn't seen anyone use a Windows 7 Phone other than my dad. Symbian is huge but I havn't really seen a Nokia Symbian Smartphone in a while.

Going to be hard for Ubuntu to do anything in the Smartphone market.

Status
Not open for further replies.