Canopus ADVC-100 / ADVC-300 / MacroVision Question

I'm working with a bunch of VHS tapes and the quality is all over the
map, does anyone have the Canopus ADVC-300 and can vouch for it's
ability to "clean up" old tapes? Is it really worth the extra $300ish???

2ndly, I know MacroVision can be defeated with the ADVC-100, and I
understand it can also be done in conjunction with a cheap Picture
Stabilizer such as this:

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/dvdvidstab.html

Does it work? I have only 2 tapes with this problem, so can I use the
ADVC-300 with this above product and still get good picture quality?

Please advise...

Thanks!!!

"Roy Lunn" <roylunn@well.com> wrote in message
> I'm working with a bunch of VHS tapes and the quality is all over the
> map, does anyone have the Canopus ADVC-300 and can vouch for it's
> ability to "clean up" old tapes? Is it really worth the extra $300ish???
>
> 2ndly, I know MacroVision can be defeated with the ADVC-100, and I
> understand it can also be done in conjunction with a cheap Picture
> Stabilizer such as this:
>
> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/dvdvidstab.html
>
> Does it work? I have only 2 tapes with this problem, so can I use the
> ADVC-300 with this above product and still get good picture quality?

I'll answer your comment by a not quite direct answer:

I have the ADVC-300 and KNOW that it is the best analog-DV converter
that I have. The noise reduction/enhancement modes are useful, but not
total panaceas. If you choose to use the NR modes, use them on the lowest
noise reduction levels.

All in all, the ADVC-300 seems to make my DV25 results look somewhere
between what I have normally expected from DV25 and what I normally
get from DV50.

Is the ADVC-300 perfect? No. Is the noise reduction fully transparent?
No.
Does the noise reduction and DV encoding work (and work very well)? Yes.

John

"John Dyson" <dyson@iquest.net> wrote:

> > Does it work? I have only 2 tapes with this problem, so can I use the
> > ADVC-300 with this above product and still get good picture quality?
> >
> I'll answer your comment by a not quite direct answer:
>
> I have the ADVC-300 and KNOW that it is the best analog-DV converter
> that I have. The noise reduction/enhancement modes are useful, but not
> total panaceas. If you choose to use the NR modes, use them on the lowest
> noise reduction levels.
>
> All in all, the ADVC-300 seems to make my DV25 results look somewhere
> between what I have normally expected from DV25 and what I normally
> get from DV50.
>
> Is the ADVC-300 perfect? No. Is the noise reduction fully transparent?
> No.
> Does the noise reduction and DV encoding work (and work very well)? Yes.

john, thanks for the response, i bit the bullet and ordered the $449
advc device this afternoon... i'll use your advice and use the lowest
settings for noise... i'm still confused on all the 3D y/c reduction,
etc but i'm sure i'll figure it out...

glad you said it was the best, i've seen that posted several places but
i got burned on the pyro a/v link (dropped frames!!!) so i'm still
hurting...

rl

I just bought an ADVC300 a few weeks ago. So far I'm pleased with the
results. Better than I expected. I'm a newbie to NLE and video editing
altogether and I'm using the default ADVC300 settings. BTW, the 300 does
NOT defeat Macrovision in any way. The 100 will, but you get a better
product in the 300. Good luck with it.
--
Tony

"Roy Lunn" <roylunn@well.com> wrote in message
> I'm working with a bunch of VHS tapes and the quality is all over the
> map, does anyone have the Canopus ADVC-300 and can vouch for it's
> ability to "clean up" old tapes? Is it really worth the extra $300ish???
>
> 2ndly, I know MacroVision can be defeated with the ADVC-100, and I
> understand it can also be done in conjunction with a cheap Picture
> Stabilizer such as this:
>
> http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/dvdvidstab.html
>
> Does it work? I have only 2 tapes with this problem, so can I use the
> ADVC-300 with this above product and still get good picture quality?
>
> Please advise...
>
> Thanks!!!

Another way to go is a JVC SVHS deck with TBC & NR hooked up to a
ADVC-100. Get the JVC cheap off ebay.com.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:34:00 -0600, Roy Lunn <roylunn@well.com> wrote:

>I'm working with a bunch of VHS tapes and the quality is all over the
>map, does anyone have the Canopus ADVC-300 and can vouch for it's
>ability to "clean up" old tapes? Is it really worth the extra $300ish???
>
>2ndly, I know MacroVision can be defeated with the ADVC-100, and I
>understand it can also be done in conjunction with a cheap Picture
>Stabilizer such as this:
>
>http://shop.store.yahoo.com/direct/dvdvidstab.html
>
>Does it work? I have only 2 tapes with this problem, so can I use the
>ADVC-300 with this above product and still get good picture quality?
>
>Please advise...
>
>Thanks!!!

In order to defeat Macro vision I use the SIMA Color Corrector
Pro-Series Model SCC.
It not only took care of the Macro Vision problem but also allows for
correction of Tint,Color,Sharpness,Brightness,Contrast,Blue, Green and
Red.
I paid about $79.00 ... I use it to transfer old VHS movies to
DVD...works like a charm for me...
Glenn M

A GREAT DAY FOR FREEDOM...Pink Floyd

Glenn M <> wrote:

> In order to defeat Macro vision I use the SIMA Color Corrector
> Pro-Series Model SCC.
> It not only took care of the Macro Vision problem but also allows for
> correction of Tint,Color,Sharpness,Brightness,Contrast,Blue, Green and
> Red.
> I paid about $79.00 ... I use it to transfer old VHS movies to
> DVD...works like a charm for me...
> Glenn M

thanks for the response, forgot about the sima device... i went ahead
and ordered the little video stablizer, if it works or doesn't work,
i'll post the news... i may get the sima color corrector also...

and to tony s... also thanks, i should have my ADVC-300 tuesday... can't
wait to see what it does... my tapes are good, bad and horrible... so if
it works well, i'll let everyone know...

fingers crossed...

rl

Roy:
I've been shopping for that aDVc-300 for several evenings, and the lowest
I can find it listed is $479.

Sure would appreciate you posting where you found a $449 price.

Thanks,

Jason

Roy:
I've been shopping for that aDVc-300 for several evenings, and the lowest
I can find it listed is $479.

Sure would appreciate you posting where you found a $449 price.

Thanks,

Jason

It turns out that you can just use your old camcorder!
They all have the same resolution!!!

"JasonC" <jchannin@nospam.tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message
> Roy:
> I've been shopping for that aDVc-300 for several evenings, and the lowest
> I can find it listed is $479.
>
> Sure would appreciate you posting where you found a $449 price.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason

"Americhicken" wrote ...
> It turns out that you can just use your old camcorder!
> They all have the same resolution!!!

Mr. Chicken appears to be fixated on "resolution". When
he gets some more experience, he will grow out of it.

Thank you for explaining things agiain

Richard Crowley" <rcrowley7@xprt.net> wrote in message
> "Americhicken" wrote ...
> > It turns out that you can just use your old camcorder!
> > They all have the same resolution!!!
>
> Mr. Chicken appears to be fixated on "resolution". When
> he gets some more experience, he will grow out of it.

The chicken has a point.
And please stop top-posting.