Question canoscan 4200f language issue

Jul 6, 2022
i have a canoscan 4200f scanner connected to a windows xp dell inspiron laptop. i use the set up just for the family to do scanning. it has been working normally for years. then i went to scan with it yesterday and although the dialog menus are still in english. when i pressed the scan button the progress pop up window that tells you such things as "adjusting lamp" was now in french. does anyone have an idea of what has gone wrong? any answers are appreciated.

Jul 6, 2022
in xp scangear cs is a driver. i can find no way to change language back to english. i uninstalled driver and the canoscan toolbox program which controls scanning. but after re-install scanning is still in french. i can make scangear screen appear by checking control from driver in toolbox. but there is no preferences to be found and is all in french. maybe the french is coming from the scanner itself?

Ralston18

Titan
The link to the Menu Route Map is key.

I would expect those options to be "within" the scanner but accessible/configurable/selected via software hosted on the computer.

If ScanGear and CanoScan Toolbox - MP Navigator EX are not working then I do not know what to suggest.

The CanoScan Toolbox program appears (to me) to be the most promising because you do see the available controls even if they are in French. Is that correct?

Are you able to see the Menu Route Map (English version) that I referenced in my post (Post #2)? Multi-colored Menus that group related options.

Even if the preferences are all in French you may be able to use the Menu Route Map's context and format to identify the Language Option.

I used Google Translator to look up and translate Preferences, Display Settings, and Language from English to French.

The results:

Préférences Paramètres d'affichage Langue

Look for those words in French. If possible follow the menu route map from each word to the next.

Hopefully doing so will arrive at some list of languages where you can select English. In French = "Anglais"

Jul 6, 2022
the menu route map page you sent is for a canon d530. i've have looked carefully at all the menu options. including when scangear cs appears even though it is in french. but there are no preferences that can set. i guess we can still use it even though it is in french. but i just cannot understand why the scanner changed to french. maybe there is a scanner buttons sequence that got pushed?

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure why/how I ended up at "canon d530". Apologies.

Found the following link:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/in...105357&cat=9996A001&actp=LIST&showDraft=false

Old: Published just over 7 years ago and updated about 2 1/2 years ago.

It may well be that some scanner button combination reconfigured the language. Hopefully there would be or will be some applicable documentation to be found.

As a long shot: Contact Canon and simply ask how to change the scanner's language setting. Include all of scanner details via any plates or other labeling.

[Note: While looking at the scanner: is there any small reset button or perhaps a small hole labeled "reset". Just look for now. Do not "reset" because that could lose more functionality. ]

Also include the software name, version, etc..

Being that the OS is XP and the hosting laptop being a Dell it is very likely that Canon (if they even respond at all) will simply blame "the other guys".

Or, if lucky, they could send a link to the appropriate User Guide/Manual.

Jul 6, 2022
i spoke with canon they would not give any assistance. i did find parameters under advanced mode of scangear cs in french. but under preferences there is no language choice option. can i attach pics of scangear option screens on this thread?

also do you know if there is a 3rd party software that can communicate with the scanner?

Jul 6, 2022
i found acsolution to this issue. i wanted to post it in case others need to know about it.

1. disconnect power and usb from scanner
  2. delete canoscan 4200f driver
  3. download Deldrv.exe from the canon website and run it. it probably removes all traces of previous drivers.
  4. download scangear cs for xp through win7 from the canon website. then install this driver while the scanner is still not connected.
  5. reboot computer.
  6. reconnect usb, then reconnect power.
  7. driver will be installed by windows.
  8. using canoscan toolbox, run a scan it should be in english now.

this is not a canonical proceedure, so another version and/or sequences might also work. but this is what i did to get rid of the french.

thanks Titan for working on this with me. best regards.