Question Cant acces BIOS on startup

Jan 3, 2020
Ok. So I was cloning my boot drive to move it to a new m.2 ssd. I was also scanning my pc with malwarebytes at the same time. Malwarebytes got done and found a couple of threats. I quarrantined the threats and they asked me to restart my computer (Yes/No option). Without properly reading I clicked yes assuming it wouldnt. (Big yikes) now all i get on startup is ”Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key”
Now, this was no problem i thought until i realized i had turned on msi fast boot a couple of days ago thus disabling the use of usb ports on startup. So i can’t acces BIOS rn and im stuck with the stupid message.. anyone know what to do? Flash bios? Hand it in for repair? Give up on life? Please help :(

Motherboard - MSI Z170A gaming m7

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What is set to boot priority #1 in the BIOS?

All a failed "clone" should do, is stop you being able to boot from the new drive.
Assuming Windows Boot Mgr is still detected on the older drive, you should still be able to boot to it - the presence of A.N.Other drive (potentially in a higher 'priority' position in the boot menu) may be causing the failed boot though.

Jan 3, 2020
What is set to boot priority #1 in the BIOS?

All a failed "clone" should do, is stop you being able to boot from the new drive.
Assuming Windows Boot Mgr is still detected on the older drive, you should still be able to boot to it - the presence of A.N.Other drive (potentially in a higher 'priority' position in the boot menu) may be causing the failed boot though.

I had set my m2 drive as boot prio in prior failed attempts to make it the boot drive (check post history) so its in 1 then the HDD that i had my windows on. Either way i cant acces bios since msi fast boost wont let me use my keyboard.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The SSD is not bootable at this stage, so it should move down the priority list. Doesn't sound like it is doing that though.

You could disconnect power, hold the power button to drain any residual and, once you've done that, remove the CMOS battery from the board (round, silver battery). Leave it out for 10 mins, reinstall, reconnect power, then boot. At that stage, your BIOS should have reset, and Fast Boot should be disabled. Then switch your HDD/Boot Mgr to priority #1 and start again.

Unless you have a particularly full HDD, and an SSD of similar capacity, a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD is probably a better route to go.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Jan 3, 2020
The SSD is not bootable at this stage, so it should move down the priority list. Doesn't sound like it is doing that though.

You could disconnect power, hold the power button to drain any residual and, once you've done that, remove the CMOS battery from the board (round, silver battery). Leave it out for 10 mins, reinstall, reconnect power, then boot. At that stage, your BIOS should have reset, and Fast Boot should be disabled. Then switch your HDD/Boot Mgr to priority #1 and start again.

Unless you have a particularly full HDD, and an SSD of similar capacity, a clean install of Windows 10 onto the SSD is probably a better route to go.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

Ok so the SSD is completly fresh. Ill try this and come right back at you!

Jan 3, 2020

IT WORKED, Thanks a thousand times!!!