[SOLVED] Can't access all folders in network drive?

rollerstroller

Commendable
Aug 25, 2019
Hello everybody! First question on this site :)

I use an old beat up Laptop as my Plex server (called server PC), tucked away in a closet, with an external harddrive for space and connected via ethernet to my router.

Because it's not really comfortable to manage the files on that server PC I wanted to share the external drive with my work laptop (called work PC). I did that using a guide from this site: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/how-to-share-drives-windows-pc,36936.html.

Now it worked, kind of. I can access lots of folders, but some I can't.

I got that drive, because I needed more space, at the end of august. I copied everything from the old drive to the new one. Weirdly enough I can access all the files and folders that I copied that day from my work PC, but can't access anything that was created since. It says "you don't have permission, talk to the administrator" or something similar.

Does anybody have an idea why that would be? Why is it only the newer files?

I did manage to access one of the folders on my work PC, by manually giving permission from my server PC. But I don't want to go through every folder and manually give permission.

PS. Weirdly enough Plex can't access those files anymore either. The file directory is the same as it was before. I can access them on my server pc no problem from the explorer, but I can't be accessed using Plex.

Thank you very much for your help!

Solution
My first thaught on this: When the files was copied over, they may also incuded the permissions information as well.

This is normally solved by you allowing everyone to have full access to the shared folder on the drive.
My first thaught on this: When the files was copied over, they may also incuded the permissions information as well.

This is normally solved by you allowing everyone to have full access to the shared folder on the drive.

Solution