Question Can't access BIOS after upgrading (X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming)

Sep 10, 2019
Hello
I bought a X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming for use with a Ryzen 3600 processor. As it is not compatible out of the box, I put a 2600 and updated the BIOS via Q-Flash, started in F6, F30, F31, F40 (this one is the first one compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen). When I got to F40, Q-Flash exited and the computer booted directly to Windows, and I couldn't access the bios. I reset the bios pressing reset and power buttons for 10 seconds and tried again, but I got the same result, after flashing F40 bios is no longer accessible. Now the Ryzen 5 3600 processor works and I can boot to Windows, but I can't enter the bios and couln't flash the backup bios, and won't be trying again as I don't have the 2600 processor at hand. What should I do? Maybe flash F41 with efiflash?
Thanks in advance

Hello
I bought a X470 Aorus Ultra Gaming for use with a Ryzen 3600 processor. As it is not compatible out of the box, I put a 2600 and updated the BIOS via Q-Flash, started in F6, F30, F31, F40 (this one is the first one compatible with 3rd gen Ryzen). When I got to F40, Q-Flash exited and the computer booted directly to Windows, and I couldn't access the bios. I reset the bios pressing reset and power buttons for 10 seconds and tried again, but I got the same result, after flashing F40 bios is no longer accessible. Now the Ryzen 5 3600 processor works and I can boot to Windows, but I can't enter the bios and couln't flash the backup bios, and won't be trying again as I don't have the 2600 processor at hand. What should I do? Maybe flash F41 with efiflash?
Thanks in advance
Have you tried to get into BIOS via Windows?

Wrecker75

Upstanding
Aug 27, 2019
Sounds as if they set graphics to integrated (which I know you don't have) instead of auto on that version. Going up to 41 or back if you are able has a good chance of solving the issue.

Sep 10, 2019
Sounds as if they set graphics to integrated (which I know you don't have) instead of auto on that version. Going up to 41 or back if you are able has a good chance of solving the issue.
For what I've read, I have to make a freedos usb stick, boot from it and then execute efiflash, am I right?

You wrote, "To be honest no, I just checked I could enter windows and went directly into q-flash again."

That means you never completed the required BIOS update to F31 before flashing F40.

F30 Note : Update AMD Chipset Driver 18.50.16.01 or later version before update this BIOS

If you are using Q-Flash Utility to update BIOS, make sure you have updated BIOS to F31 before F40

Sep 10, 2019
They have a lot of problems but no one had the one I have, and I doubt I can get a cpu with graphics.

can u disconnect your drives if it boots you into efi shell?
if efi shell pops up, your bios is fixable
If I disconnect all drives I just get a blank screen

Gigabyte support answered me and they basically said send it , install a newer bios. I'll try that tonight

Sep 10, 2019
I think I found the problem but I still need a solution.
The bios is showing, but not in my main screen. When I try to access the BIOS I get a blank screen, either pressing delete, via windows recovery options or aorus app. It will stay blank until I disconnect the computer from the wall... OR, I press Esc and then enter, Windows starts booting, that means the options are there I just can't see them. It might be that I'm using an old GeForce 7200 via DVI converted to HDMI in the PCIe 4x port for video in the meanwhile my 5700 XT arrives. Or not.

IDK if you would get a display what are the odds you have access to a CPU with graphics?

This might be the answer, but sadly there's no way I can get a CPU with graphics

Do any of you has this motherboard and can send me key by key instructions to disable the integrated graphics?

intergrated graphic isnt enabled, your cpu doesnt have one
so it means something is wrong with your dvi output or dvi adapter
there is reserved pin for detecting monitor (pin16), if monitor isnt detected on dvi it would lead to displaying on vga port (in bios), windows doesnt use it

DVI-Connector-Pinout.png

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2019
I think the problem is my graphics card. I'll wait until my 5700 xt arrives to ask for an RMA. I could take some screenshots of the bios inserting an USB and pressing F12 or PrntScrn