[SOLVED] Cant Access Bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019
Im trying to access the BIOS on my Asus Maximus VII Hero MB so I can enable the use of the on-board graphics card for a dual setup and The system ignores my F2 or DEL presses and boots straight to Windows. I tried a couple of things I found online like holding Shift and rebooting but the UEFI Settings option does not exist and if I try to launch from command Prompt it tells me UEFI Firmware option is not supported on my system. I have also tried turning off Fast Startup but I was still unable to get into the BIOS.

Is there any way for me to get into the BIOS?

Solution
Fast startup isn't the problem. Fast boot is the problem.

So, I have the exact same board as you. Try this.

Immediately after you power on the system or as soon as the screen goes dark after a restart, begin rapid fire spamming the Delete key repeatedly, nonstop, until you see it either enter the BIOS or it fails to and begins booting into Windows. You cannot press it slowly. You MUST begin pressing the key, like a video game, firing as fast as you reasonably can, the second you power on the system, and continue doing so until it goes into the BIOS. This is the ONLY way to get it to go into the BIOS if Ultra fast boot, or in some cases even just Fast boot, are enabled on an SSD equipped UEFI system.

If that won't work, then you'll...

Immediately after you power on the system or as soon as the screen goes dark after a restart, begin rapid fire spamming the Delete key repeatedly, nonstop, until you see it either enter the BIOS or it fails to and begins booting into Windows. You cannot press it slowly. You MUST begin pressing the key, like a video game, firing as fast as you reasonably can, the second you power on the system, and continue doing so until it goes into the BIOS. This is the ONLY way to get it to go into the BIOS if Ultra fast boot, or in some cases even just Fast boot, are enabled on an SSD equipped UEFI system.

If that won't work, then you'll need to reset the BIOS, and then try the procedure at outlined above, all over again. Resetting the BIOS will set it back to a normal boot and disable the Fast boot process. Also, make sure you have hibernation disabled in Windows. It may be that it is not even actually restarting or cold booting but instead is simply recovering from the hibernation state, which is only part of the Fast restart and hybrid sleep configuration settings.

Disable hibernation as follows, in Windows, first.

To disable Hibernation:

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
Now just exit out of command prompt

To reset the BIOS.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Solution

xShoot4WarAmpsx

Reputable
Jul 31, 2019

If that won't work, then you'll need to reset the BIOS, and then try the procedure at outlined above, all over again. Resetting the BIOS will set it back to a normal boot and disable the Fast boot process. Also, make sure you have hibernation disabled in Windows. It may be that it is not even actually restarting or cold booting but instead is simply recovering from the hibernation state, which is only part of the Fast restart and hybrid sleep configuration settings.

Disable hibernation as follows, in Windows, first.

To disable Hibernation:

The first step is to run the command prompt as administrator. In Windows 10, you can do this by right clicking on the start menu and clicking "Command Prompt (Admin)"
Type in "powercfg.exe /h off" without the quotes and press enter. If you typed it in correctly, the cursor will simply start at a new line asking for new input
Now just exit out of command prompt

To reset the BIOS.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 30 seconds. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Thanks for the help but it did not work. Pressing quickly still resulted in boooting to Windows and Hibernation being disabled did not change anything either.

I was able to get into the BIOS by disconnecting my SSD. I then enabled the onboard graphics and disabled fast boot. I got everything working now. I needed the On-board graphics card for my TV. Originally it was using the graphics card but I bought a new monitor for gaming and the Card only has 1 HDMI port and 2 DVI ports. My TV does not have a DVI port so I needed the HDMI port on my board to have dual display.

Well easiest way is... Remove your boot drive. And most of the time you will go directly into BIOS...
As I was facing same issue on my cousin's PC with MSi Z270 M5... I was in hurry. And just removed M.2 drive and jumped into BIOS... And after settings things up.. I installed that drive again.. 😂😂 that was funny but really worked..

Status
Not open for further replies.