Can't access router's Dlink DIR-615 settings

funchal99

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
Hello there,

First of all, I ask anyone who answers for your patience, because I'm not terribly tech-savvy.

I use the aforementioned router to expand the wi-fi around my house, since the modem's wi-fi is too weak. I had a technician install the whole setup for me, so I don't know the specifics, but I'm running into a problem: I can't access the router in any way.

I tried to do so at first to try to understand why the router's ethernet ports don't seem to work (no device I own can get connected to the internet through it) and realized I just can't access it through the default IP (192.168.0.1) as it just takes me to the modem's settings page. I tried 192.168.1.1 and it also doesn't work.
I left it at that until the wi-fi stopped working out of nowhere yesterday. I tried accessing it again using all the methods and fixes I could find online, all to no avail. And yes, I did disconnect the router from the modem to do it. The one thing I didn't do was mess with the modem's config out of fear of messing things up with that too.

At the end, I just did a factory reset, and then I was able to instantly access it through my laptop (direct cable) once it booted back up. Once I named the wi-fi and password for it and clicked on "save and connect" though, the page just went back to "this page can't be reached".
Weirdly enough, I managed to get back to it again through my cellphone (wi-fi), where I had to input the wi-fi network's name and password again, and this time once I clicked to proceed it took me to a page asking to input the router's ID and password...for about 4 seconds before it closes itself and I'm stuck yet again without any means of acessing it. At least wi-fi is working normally again.

So, I can't even change the router's ID and password from the default ones, and the ethernet ports still don't work for some reason. Does anyone know what I can do?

Solution

I would...

1. Disconnect 615 from network, make changes to your DHCP server as detailed above. Reboot all clients.

2. Reset 615 to factory setting, connect with laptop as you did before, VIA ETHERNET CABLE TO 615 ANY LAN PORT, but DO NO HOOKUP these two pieces to your network just yet, So stand-alone laptop---615 that's it. Make all your configuration changes to the 615 as detailed on my first post, THEN once that's done make network connect to ANY of the 615 LAN ports, DO NO USE THE 615 WAN port, hit the 615 RESET button, wait for it to boot, and things should work normally.
Unless you have specific reason to not do so, for simplicity you should configure the 615 as an Access Point, not a router. Do not create a second subnet, do not use the WAN port. Do ISP router -----> 615 LAN (any).

So if you ISP router is 192.168.0.x, the 615 must be this also, give it a static like 192.168.0.2. Your DHCP server (on the ISP router) should configured with a pool to say 192.168.0.16-254, leaving 1-15 for any static devices like this 615.

615 WAN should be disabled. 615 DHCP should also be disabled. The only thing that should be enable on the 615 is the WIFI. Once configured this way you access 615 by going 192.168.0.2. Nothing to it. :)

funchal99

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017

Okay, but how exactly do I go about doing that since I can't access it for the life of me? As I said, I only manage to access it once I do a factory reset through my cellphone, and it locks out once I define the network name and password for some reason. I can access a single page on the settings which is WAN settings, I believe. But once I click on any other tab (like advanced settings, lan settings, whatever) it goes back to the screen where I have to input a the wi-fi network's name and password.

I would...

1. Disconnect 615 from network, make changes to your DHCP server as detailed above. Reboot all clients.

2. Reset 615 to factory setting, connect with laptop as you did before, VIA ETHERNET CABLE TO 615 ANY LAN PORT, but DO NO HOOKUP these two pieces to your network just yet, So stand-alone laptop---615 that's it. Make all your configuration changes to the 615 as detailed on my first post, THEN once that's done make network connect to ANY of the 615 LAN ports, DO NO USE THE 615 WAN port, hit the 615 RESET button, wait for it to boot, and things should work normally.

Solution