Can't access the data on my WD Passport Elements SE

Yolei

Honorable
Mar 3, 2014
Hello,
I have a 2 years old WD Passport Elements Se 1GB.
Yesterday my computer suddenly was not able to access it.
After 3 minutes the pc does recognize the drive letter, but when I try to open the drive, Explorer tries to load it but nothing happens, and eventually explorer get's stuck.
If I try to load the computer with the drive plugged in, it doesn't load unless I unplug it (can't even go past bios loading).

I tried this on 2 different computer, both with WIN 7 64bit, and on several usb ports (both usb2 and 3)

I tried several recovery programs, but 3 were not even able to load the drives list!, and last one was able to recognize that there are 930gb of info, but after 4 hours of work it only recognized 500 files...

I tried to open the case to see if there's a sata connector, but nope. The usb port is welded into the electronic board...

Please help, I really need the data inside :(

Yolei

Honorable
Mar 3, 2014

I tried another cable and unfortunately it didn't work.
I searched for a professional restoration, but it'll cost me 170$-570$ :( I'm not that desperate, yet...

So... Regarding the last solution, could you please give me more info on what I have to do? I never really messed up with electronics, but if it's something that is not that complicated, I believe I would manage..

Thanks again!

Okay. Try Recuva. Plug the drive into the computer and wait for the drive letter to turn up. After that, KEEP THE DRIVE RUNNING!!!! Run Recuva and let it scan for files. Once it turns up files, select the GOOD ones, NOT THE BAD ONES and let it recover TO YOUR COMPUTER! DO NOT RECOVER TO THE EXTERNAL DRIVE UNDER ANY RISK!!! Don't forget to post the result and select a best answer!