can't access websites since upgrading to windows 10

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

gracik

Reputable
Jul 25, 2014
So I just upgraded from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and now I can't access several websites for whatever reason. Like gamefaqs, ebay and hotmail/outlook email. I can access them on my phone but not my laptop. Anyone have any ideas? I've done the dns flush in the cmd prompt but no luck. No to mention the Cortana app just endlessly loads, but I suppose that's to be expected.

steez1g

Reputable
Dec 9, 2015
Okay. I have been banging my head against the wall with this issue for a couple days now, and I believe I have found a fix - or more likely a work around. I don't 100% understand why it works, or why it was a problem, but... For me the problem seems to be related to IPv6. I turned off IPv6, and everything is 100% back to normal. If you google "turn off ipv6 windows 10", you'll find instructions to do so, many of them registry edits. I, however, just went to the "Network and Sharing Center", and under "view your active networks" i clicked on "Connections: Ethernet" (might not be ethernet on yours), then clicked properties, then unchecked "Internet Protocol Version 6"...

That said, this was mega weird for me. I installed Windows 10 on 2 pc's in my home. Had the same problems with both. Thinking I may be having some really odd problems with browser compatibility or somethign, I reverted to the copy of Windows 8 which had previously worked flawlessly. Full reformat, and the problem persisted in Windows 8! Still makes no sense to me.

UrdaMurda

Reputable
Dec 16, 2015

Hi there, you can try some of the fixes suggested in this article - Fix: Connection Timed-Out When Browsing in Windows 10

Raymon_1

Reputable
Aug 31, 2015
All, I upgraded to Windows 10 months ago, shortly after it first came available, and I had the same issues. I wasn't able to access several websites, most importantly my wife's work portal used for updating her professional files from home. This was a deal breaker for me...she needs to access this from home. I contacted Microsoft, and they told me that some websites simply haven't caught up to be compatible with Windows 10 yet, and that I should contact the administrator of the site in question, and have them upgrade their site (really!!!???). Anyway, that same Microsoft rep showed me how to revert back to Windows 8, and I've not gone back to 10....8 works fine, and Microsoft needs to get their crap together.

janoleolsen

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2006
Had similar problem, tried updating LAN driver - nothing worked. Then simply rebooted ADSL modem from ZTE and it all worked. Before this - most web pages worked, but some did not. Like pictures in Gmail failing. And using WiFi on the same network worked fine (via the ZTE modem).

Just weird.

bagunceiro

Commendable
Apr 23, 2016
I have the same problem with the specific website is www.digital-postcard.ch. My windows (2 x Win10, 1 x Win7) machines do not connect to it (timeout) but Android and [strike]Linux [/strike]have no trouble. I am using both WiFi and fixed ethernet. Relevant maybe being resident in Brazil, but it is also tied up with Windows - other OSs work OK.

I've tried all the above, nothing works.

A friend of mine has the same problem from his Win 10 (via WiFi) here.

Correction: I have the same with Linux (Fedora 23). The interesting thing is, what is different about Android?

mbtron

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
I think I have a solution and hopefully this same solution will help others that's still having this issue...

I've been having the same problem, tried all the possible solutions listed here, but did not seem to fix the problem. At least not permanently.

So the solution I found after updating all my laptop's network drivers was, I updated the Firmware on my router. It seems older WiFi routers (such as older Linksys and NetGear routers) doesn't seem to be fully compatible with devices running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Therefore certain websites are inaccessible or you have to keep disconnecting from the WiFi and reconnecting to get some sites to work.

If you have a really old router, best bet is probably upgrade to something newer. Then upgrade to the latest firmware for your router and try again. My Router is a TP-Link AC1750 Archer C7 V1, and by upgrading to firmware version 150511 seems to have permanently fixed my issue.

elizatringali123

Commendable
Aug 13, 2016