[SOLVED] Can't adjust Page File Size Memory - Settings never save

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2020
Hello,

I'm trying to play Red Dead 2 and the only fix is settting the Page File Size to Automatic, or something custom. I fixed this on my laptop last time. Now, on my laptop, the settings don't save no matter what. Yes I hit "set", "apply", "restart". Does not save. Weird because on my desktop "automatic" is already engaged.

Specs:

Laptop: GS66
16gb DDR4
Rtx 2070 Max q
10750h
Samsung 840 Pro 500gb

Also, this is installed on an external SSD using Win2usb, because my two internal m.2's are for work. I installed windows on this external before, and it was fine, so I have no idea why the settings wont save.

THanks!

Solution
The behavior is hard coded, meaning that it can't be changed without modifying the source code and recompiling. Not going to happen.

Windows2go is no longer developed or supported. It wasn't a "fully" functional OS in the sense that a desktop or laptop are. It wasn't for general use anyway. It was intended to be used for such things as conference room presentations where you couldn't take your desktop machine, so you placed your needed application/s and data on a thumbdrive, plugged it in, booted the stick, made your presentation, then recycled the drive when done. It was only available with the enterprise version of Windows 10.
Jul 26, 2020
Is the laptop truly yours or a work provided laptop?

How full are the drives? Especially the drive hosting the Page File.

What is the current configuration?

My laptop. 70% empty OS SSD. With a wintousb system you can't see the other internal drives unless you're in disk management. And those are 80% and 10% full. At the Page File Size menu it just shows C and D . Pic:

https://ibb.co/QXPS5DQ

I know the partitions look weird, but that's how win2usb sets it up, one is a bootable image. I have no say or options in the matter.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Not sure about what may be going on/happening.

I am not familiar with WintoUSB.

However, being "Disk" I am going to move your post to "Storage".

Seems more applicable and there are some very good/knowledgeable "Storage" folks who may have ideas or other questions to ask.

Your entire problem is that "Win2USB" thing. Windows was not designed to run from external media. This includes the paging file. Install Windows properly, on an internal drive and you'll be able to manipulate the paging file. There are NO workarounds for this.

Jul 26, 2020
Your entire problem is that "Win2USB" thing. Windows was not designed to run from external media. This includes the paging file. Install Windows properly, on an internal drive and you'll be able to manipulate the paging file. There are NO workarounds for this.

Then why did it work the last time I installed it on an external SSD? Makes no sense, seems random.

It's not "random" Windows is NOT designed to be installed to or run from external media of ANY kind. It doesn't matter what random youtube video or sketchy website you peruse. Windows' paging system is hardcoded so as not to be usable on removable media and you cannot alter this.

Jul 26, 2020
It's not "random" Windows is NOT designed to be installed to or run from external media of ANY kind. It doesn't matter what random youtube video or sketchy website you peruse. Windows' paging system is hardcoded so as not to be usable on removable media and you cannot alter this.

Then please, explain to me, how did I manage to adjust the page limit and run Red Dead 2 a few weeks ago with this exact Win2USB method, on the same SSD?

Jul 26, 2020
Ask Microsoft, they're the ones that wrote it. Bottom line here is that you are doing something that is absolutely NOT supported in any way, shape or form.

Would it be impossible/difficult for Microsoft to implement pagefile into this external setup? Can't this be done through some code?

Also, Windows2go was a thing before version 2004, in control pannel, is that not backed by Microsoft?

The behavior is hard coded, meaning that it can't be changed without modifying the source code and recompiling. Not going to happen.

Windows2go is no longer developed or supported. It wasn't a "fully" functional OS in the sense that a desktop or laptop are. It wasn't for general use anyway. It was intended to be used for such things as conference room presentations where you couldn't take your desktop machine, so you placed your needed application/s and data on a thumbdrive, plugged it in, booted the stick, made your presentation, then recycled the drive when done. It was only available with the enterprise version of Windows 10.

Solution
Jul 26, 2020

So I can technically get a version of enterprise that will let me do it?
Also, any other solution to this Red Dead 2 issue? I have to upgrade my ram to 64gb for work anyway, but I read people having the same issue even with more ram.

So I can technically get a version of enterprise that will let me do it?
I believe that the minimum license subsciption offered by Microsoft is for 50 users, and you pay yearly or lose the license. Home users need not apply. Wouldn't matter anyway as the WIndows2go functionality no longer exists.

Also, any other solution to this Red Dead 2 issue? I have to upgrade my ram to 64gb for work anyway, but I read people having the same issue even with more ram.
Red Dead 2 is a royal "Charley Foxtrot" at the moment. Until it's fixed by the publisher it is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.