Question Can't assign unallocated space on new SSD

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
Hi! I finally purchased an SSD for quicker system boot. I cloned my old boot C: partition to the SSD, but I've foolishly ignored that not all of the SSD is being used in the cloning software. After cloning I booted with no problems, but I have 6GB of unassigned in Disk Management, and it's next to 3 system and recovery partitions that I don't want to mess with. I cannot merge it with my main C: partition (from what I've read it's because they're not next to each other in dskmgmt). The partition next to the unassigned space is labeled as "OEM partition" and it's 572MB, and when I rightclick it, the only option in the context menu is "Help", nothing else appears. How can I assign the space to C: without breaking my OS?

crepper4454

Commendable
Jun 30, 2018
The system partition is all the way left, then there's the EFI system partition (100MB), then 300MB OEM recovery, and 572MB OEM partition. Then the unallocated space is all the way right. Am I completely screwed?

popatim

Titan
There are software partitions managers available that can move partitions around and take care of this but they are very slow and I would recommend making a full backup of the drive first in cast things go wrong.
Gparted, Easus Partition master, Mini-tool Partition wizard are a few that come to mind though I haven't used them in years.

Reactions: Maxxify

RolandJS

Reputable
Mar 10, 2017
Guys, Gals, may I hazard a possible solution?
Could the OP use any backup/restore program to:
-- make a full image of each partition "from left to right" onto reliable external media
-- fully format the HD in question, leaving nothing but one empty HD
-- restore the partitions, one by one, "from left to right"
I did that on my laptop awhile back, I think I was left with one very tiny MB-sized unallocated piece.
Do you believe that might work for the OP?