Question Can't Boot from New Motherboard

Oct 8, 2024
I just replaced an 8 year old (at least) motherboard, and now the system will not boot. The original system started as a Windows 8 system, and then upgraded to Windows 10. In the last few months, the system started hard locking and could only be restarted with a hard power reset. Purchased a new Asus Z790-V motherboard with a new processor and memory.

The new system can "see" the old SSD drive and the three partitions on it, but there is no boot partition "available". I've updated to the latest bios, and the system easily recognizes my thumb drives. It even offers to boot from the thumb drive. Back in the day, the solution would have been to create a new Master Boot Record (mbr /c ?), but I have no clue today.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

Cheers,

Misgar

Respectable
Mar 2, 2023
there is no boot partition "available"
A clean install is the best solution by far, especially if Windows 8 does not have drivers for some of the new hardware.

Have you checked the boot order in the BIOS and set your SSD as the first device?

If the old Windows 8 SSD needs to boot up in "CSM/Legacy" mode and your new BIOS is set to "AHCI only", the system will reject the SSD and ask for another boot device.

https://superuser.com/questions/1284392/what-exactly-is-uefi-with-csm-boot-mode

TRENDING THREADS