Question Can't boot from new SSD

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
The only explanation I have for this is that the SSD is DOA somehow, but it's copying data fine... but I've tried everything I can think of and the SSD is still not booting a freshly installed Windows OS.

This is a 7 year old PC, but works well for 60 fps gaming with pretty much no bottlenecks CPU wise.

3570k OCed to 4.4 Ghz
Asus P8Z77-K Motherboard (latest firmware from like 5 years ago)
16 GB Gskill Ripjaw DDR3 1600mhz ram
GTX 1070 OCed to 2GHz core and 7 Ghz VRAM
EVGA G2 Supernova 850W PSU

120 GB Mushkin Chronos SSD for boot and basic programs (with a bunch of other hard drives and etc for storage)

New replacement drive is a 1 TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD

Started getting Unexpected store exception errors and also had issues with other programs installed on the SSD from loading, but error checks didn't show anything wrong with the SSD. so I figured it was the boot SSD going bad or the ram going bad.

Ran a full memory test (took like 9 hours overnight) and zero issues with the ram. Changed ram to different slots before too and ran again with zero issues so it's not a ram issue.

Got the drive yesterday, and I went through the usual process, made a usb boot, numbered and formatted the new drive.

Unplugged all the other drives on the computer and installed a fresh copy of windows 10 home 64 bit onto the new SSD.

I can detect still the SSD in the bios and when I'm booted into the OS, but I can't boot off of it. If I try to boot off of it, it goes to can't detect bootable device. Did the same with the 4 other SATA ports. So that rules out the SATA ports being bad.

Reformatted the 860 EVO SSD, coped about 50 GB of data to it with zero issues, so I don't think it's the SSD being DOA at this point...

Thought it might be a power issue (haven't had a issue with it before, and it's one of the most reliable PSUs on the market too) so I switched cables and tried everything again and still the same issue.

I'm pretty stumped at this point. I'm gonna try to put in a DOA request and get another 860 Evo and try again at this point.

Any other ideas on what could be wrong to prevent my PC from being able to boot off of the new SSD?

Mohan_27

Reputable
Jun 2, 2017
Did you ever recieve storage errors with previous hardware?
Assuming you didn't, SSD's are pretty compatible with all systems so there shouldn't be any problems.

If you can't boot from the SSD itself, but you could with previous devices, how about trying installing a windows on a hardware you know works, then try and get the SSD detected as a secondary storage; from there it may be easier to transfer core files over.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012
Assuming you didn't, SSD's are pretty compatible with all systems so there shouldn't be any problems.

If you can't boot from the SSD itself, but you could with previous devices, how about trying installing a windows on a hardware you know works, then try and get the SSD detected as a secondary storage; from there it may be easier to transfer core files over.

I have a system page file issue with another HDD, but that shouldn't have anything to do with the SSD though. No other issues with anything else on the computer.

killerhurtalot

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2012

Storage errors was blue screens with unexpected storage exception and also some files not detected on the old SSD (that's why I figured it to be a issue with the old SSD)

I've installed the OS onto a secondary drive and it's bootable from there, so I'm sure it's not a issue with the install....

Still haven't figured out the issue yet, and leaning on sending the SSD back as DOA....