[SOLVED] Can't Boot in UEFI, boot menu shows no entries when legacy is disabled

Mar 3, 2022
Need help
Can't flash windows when Legacy is disabled

My ultimate aim is to get the hard disk formatted GPT rather than MBR and boot accordingly.

The laptop boots from USB as long as "Legacy Support" is enabled in BIOS. When I change this to disabled the laptop won't boot from USB and reports the hard disk error 3F0
Note: When "Legacy Support" is disabled in BIOS, the F9 boot screen shows no entries
I tried Rufus with GPT partition and windows media creation tool as well.

My question is how can I get the laptop to boot in GPT mode from USB to allow me to install windows with GPT partitions?

HP Pavilion G6 2102tx

Solution
In your screenshot - OS boot manager was first in UEFI boot order (not USB Hard disk).
Try with a different USB flash drive.

If still no luck, then it's possible, your laptop is incapable of booting into UEFI mode.

Then may be BIOS update might fix it.
Be warned though - improper BIOS update will brick your laptop. Be extremely careful with this.
I tried Rufus with GPT partition and windows media creation tool as well.
It sounds like you are using Rufus incorrectly. With Rufus, you should simply be starting the program, selecting the ISO file, and then clicking the Start button. It is not necessary to change any of the default settings in Rufus. The ISO file contains all of the necessary information to properly create the usb stick.

Mar 3, 2022
Secure boot is disabled and about rufus i only changed the options because it isn't booting.
And no I am installing Windows 10 pro
But all I want it to use GPT partition

See the attached files below
Put USB hard disk as first in UEFI Boot order.
If after this you still can't boot from USB flash drive, then it has not been prepared for UEFI boot.

Use following settings with rufus to create UEFI compatible windows installation media.
(GPT/UEFI/Fat32)

rufus-create-uefi-gpt-usb-stick-windows7.jpg

In your screenshot - OS boot manager was first in UEFI boot order (not USB Hard disk).

If still no luck, then it's possible, your laptop is incapable of booting into UEFI mode.

Be warned though - improper BIOS update will brick your laptop. Be extremely careful with this.

Solution
Mar 3, 2022

There is no BIOS update available, last is F. 27 which is already installed

Mar 3, 2022
Recreate windows installation media.
Show screenshot with rufus settings, you used.
(upload to imgur.com and post link)
Recreated windows installation media
With rufus by just selecting ISO and sarted it

It was showings GPT, UEFI (non cms)

I can't share picturs of rufus because my computer won't boot and now i have to borrow someone else's laptop 😅

I have Hp Pavilion g6 2102tx
6 GB RAM
500GB HDD
And it should support UEFI
Don't know why but it isn't working

I have 2 flash drive and i tried with both of them
Rufus and windows media creation tool from Microsoft.

But it won't show in BOOT MENU.

Mar 3, 2022
No USB stick has no issue it works fine in every other laptop and it's usb 2.0
And I Just did MBR2GPT and even after that windows won't boot when in UEFI mode nothing shows up as bootable no matter what I do or what type of usb or hard drive I have
Right now i have 6 flash drives each has different methods of GPT UEFI partition style Like oje frol rupus one from Microsoft meadia creation tool but none of them come up in Boot menu when legacy is turned off
Not even Notebook's hard drive after pressing f9 boot menu shows no entries.

I have tried every thing that there is but none of them worked and I am now very tired
I don't understand what is happening my computer does support uefi but it won't boot in uefi I think the boot Menu or something in mother motherboard is broken something is not right with it.
anyways thank you everyone for your response specially @Skynet Rising

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2022
Hey guys its been solved.

Thank you very much.

BIOS turned out to be the one at fault,
It was currupted and all I had to do was to reinstall it and everything is working like a charm. 😊😊😊

Last edited: